We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recently married in Sri Lanka no documents required

Glasgow
Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Recently married in Sri Lanka no documents required

I recently got married in Sri Lanka and was not required to produce any of the documents listed on the Sri Lankan High Commission website. I paid around £140 for affidavits and a business visa. Not one time was I required to show these documents to the registrar. My husband is Sri Lankan and the registrar knew him and his family well. I would say if marrying a Sri Lankan and the family knows the registrar speak to them in advance to check what documents you need. Do not waste money like I did. I had a stressful time getting these documents on time had to post my passport to London. Quite annoyed and I feel it is just another money making scheme. Registration fees are 5700 rupees now, were 700 rupees.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recently married in Sri Lanka no documents required

There is likely a difference whether you marry a local or a foreigner.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
174 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recently married in Sri Lanka no documents required

I think the registrar has taken the responsibility on behalf of the documents needed as he knew your husband.

Price have increased for getting married recently :)

3. Re: Recently married in Sri Lanka no documents required

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 17, 2014