We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places to visit in Sri Lanka

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Places to visit in Sri Lanka

I am planning for a short vacation of 4-5 days with my wife in the month of Sep'13 or Oct'13 and not able to decide on which of the places to visit in Sri Lanka. Also do let me know when is the best month with good weather to visit Sri Lanka. (coz... I hate rainy days)

So please help me in deciding which are the places that I can visit within these 4-5 days.

Things would like do:

Visit a secluded pristine clear water beach where I can spend atleast 2 days, do snorkeling or Scuba diving and other water activities.

See scenic and historical places & maybe see some cultural events

Relish lots & lots of local food.

Some amount of adventure if possible

Also would like to inform that I am traveller who likes to go to new undiscovered places and like to avoid the usual crowded tourist places.

All of the above on a moderate budget.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places to visit in Sri Lanka

I would suggest Cultural Triangle and Kandy. The season on the east coast will be almost over in September/October.

Hans

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,565 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places to visit in Sri Lanka

If you insist on scuba etc, pick September and then Trinco or Passekudah beach. However that will mean that inland you can only visit one base, either Kandy or Triangle; these beaches themselves are 7 hours by road from the airport, hence the travel takes quite some time.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

somerset
Level Contributor
42 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Places to visit in Sri Lanka

Thanks again on this

Bangalore, India
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Places to visit in Sri Lanka

Thank you for your suggestions Hans & Erik.

If you guys can help me out with itenaries for a 5 day trip in Srilanka, where I can stay(atleast for 2 days) in a small good private beach hotel (right on the sea with few steps away from water & not a crowded beach), which is nearby to places where i can go for snorkeling or scubadiving and go see some dolphins or sea creatures (which i saw some posts in TA). Spend the rest 3 days to go see some inland places and see some cultural events or scenic places along with relishing local food.

I have never been to Srilanka and I have just started my research on the place and trying to figure out where to spend the 5 days which will be worth for my time & money.

Hope you guys donot mind and your help is very much appreciated.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,565 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places to visit in Sri Lanka

Hi again,

Well September the sea creatures (whales and dolphins) don't come close to the coast, Trinco whale season is upto August usually. Too bad.

You could do:

* 1 night Dambulla (5 hours bus from airport)

* 2 nights Nilaveli-Uppuveli, they have a few nice guesthouses next to hotels

* 2 nights Dambulla or Habarana to explore the Triangle area a bit more

* Back to airport

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

6. Re: Places to visit in Sri Lanka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 27, 2014