We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sri Lanka in May- Help!

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Sri Lanka in May- Help!

Hello,

I am off to Si Lanka for 2 wks next week-bit last minute so have not really worked anything out!

I am hoping to seek out some nice weather and enjoy the beaches and maybe a train ride or temple or two! Any suggestions of where would be best to go very gratefully received!

Thank you!

Rachel

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sri Lanka in May- Help!

Well, in May there will be mixed weather situation in south and west coasts. There can be good sunny mornings with rain in later in the day as well as cloudy days with rain bursts. East coast (Trincomalee & Pasikudha) is the best option for beaches in this time of the year.

Kandy
Level Contributor
209 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sri Lanka in May- Help!

You could stay two days in either Ella, Haputale or Ohiya. During this time you could also do some trekking or just relax in the mountains.

Then take the scenic train to Kandy. Visit the Temple of the Tooth and other sites in Kandy.

Also try to stay 3 days in the Cultural triangle.

Then head towards Trincomalee and stay there in the beach for a week.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sri Lanka in May- Help!

Thanks so much! Very helpful to have the unpredictability of the weather on the south and west coasts confirmed! And suggested agenda sounds good too! Thank you! Just wondering as I don't drive will there be enough options to get me around in that time? Also travelling alone as a woman on trains- is this fine? Thanks again!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,522 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sri Lanka in May- Help!

Hi there,

Yes buses and trains work well but simply take 50-60% more time than having car with driver. Single ladies are fine but might have to be prepared for some unruly men in packed buses - no problem as long as you are firm in saying NO...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

5. Re: Sri Lanka in May- Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 27, 2014