We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How long before travelling should I book driver?

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
How long before travelling should I book driver?

My Fiancé, then wife will be travelling start of May for our Honeymoon to Sri Lanka for 3 weeks. We are planning to catch train from Colombo to Kandy and get a driver to take us from there seeing points of interest to Yalle and then along the south coast back to Colombo. How long before travelling is best to organise driver or should we wait until we are in Kandy to organise someone?

Mentioned in this post
Colombo
Colombo
Western Province, Sri Lanka
Kandy
Kandy
Kandy District, Sri Lanka
Brisbane
Level Contributor
2,254 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

Hi Von

the most recommended freelance guide/drivers are booked well ahead although they do often have a few days available between their longer tours. Best idea is to research now and calculate chances of leaving it until later.

If you are staying at a main hotel you can always get one of their affiliated drivers.

Archi

Kimberley
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

Pretty much agreed, Drivers are not easy for longer tours, unless with bigger companies, but with them it's hard to get a personalized service (My experience) and single driver for the whole trip.

Work the things out early.

Baruti

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

Drivers are not easy for longer tours, unless with bigger companies

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply not true.

Hans

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
27 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

Any recommendations for drivers are welcome

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,283 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

Don't fall into the trap of going with 'tourists' having only 1-5 TA posts and recommening someone; in most cases it's fake postings of the operator or friends of his. If you want names of trusted freelance drivers, send Personal Messages to regular posters including Destination Experts and most of them will have useful recommendations.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mount Maunganui...
Level Contributor
23 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

We have just returned from Sri Lanka in March. I booked a driver thru reading recommendations on this website and we were pleased with our choice. We did not have to pay any money until we arrived in Sri Lanka so they were trusting us to turn up at airport... The company we used does have a website and more than 1 driver so at least if there was any issue with either the car or driver you would get back-up.

I would research a few companies first and get a quote for what you require. I think rates vary between US$45-$65 a day which covers the car, driver, his meals and accommodation.

Have a fantastic honeymoon. The company we used was YATours and our driver was Calli. I can provide number if you require.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
155 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

Congratulations in advance of your forthcoming wedding! We booked our tour of SL through a UK travel company but the driver we had also does independent tours/trips. I am happy to recommend him so if you send me a PM I will give you his contact details. Enjoy your honeymoon. Sri Lanka is a truly wonderful country.

Mentioned in this post
8. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:00 am, June 08, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
162 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

Joyce would you mind forwarding me his details also?

Many thanks!

10. Re: How long before travelling should I book driver?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:00 am, June 08, 2016