We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two Week Itinerary Advice - Aug/Sept 2013

London, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Two Week Itinerary Advice - Aug/Sept 2013

Hi There,

We have just booked flights for a two week honeymoon to Sri Lanka for the last week of August and first week of September, so now starting work on the itinerary! I was just wondering if you could give us some advice.

In two weeks we were thinking (either as below or in reverse...):

Negombo (1 night)

Cultural Triangle (3 nights)

East Coast Beach (3 nights)

Kandy/Tea Country (3 nights)

Yala (1 night)

Galle (2 nights)

Colombo (1 night)

Is this going to be stretching ourselves a bit thin? Would we be better off dropping Yala/Galle and spending a little more time on the East Coast and round Kandy/Tea Country? I like the idea of going to see Leopards, but not sure whether it's worth the additional travel time. We intend to see the elephant gathering at Minneriya while in the CT, so is going down to Yala unnecessary? Would we be missing out also if we didn't make it down to Galle?

Thanks for your help,

Cecily

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two Week Itinerary Advice - Aug/Sept 2013

Hi there,

Yala could indeed be a bit redundant, and Galle is nice but not a totally unique must-see.

Check carefully your transport. Public transport would _just_ work if you have limited luggage, and if you supplement with some day trip cars esp. in Triangle. However you can see more if you have car-driver, but then having a 3-day beach stay in the middle is hurting as this model has a minimum daily mileage.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Two Week Itinerary Advice - Aug/Sept 2013

Thanks. I should point out I don't think I meant 1 night in Negombo, rather 1 night near the airport in Kotugoda.

With the beach stay in the middle, I guess we wouldn't be able to part ways with the driver and then be collected again after. Though I guess we could do Colombo - Tea Country - Kandy - CT - East Coast Beach - Colombo without too much backtracking...?

It's so tough to get the balance right - lots to see, but I guess we don't want to spend the whole trip in the back of a car!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,457 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two Week Itinerary Advice - Aug/Sept 2013

Yes, seems a good alternate route. Both from Passikudah and (a bit less) from Trinco there are good daytime train connections to Colombo and this way you could still part ways with the driver at East Coast.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

4. Re: Two Week Itinerary Advice - Aug/Sept 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 21, 2014