We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Kandy to the cultural triangle

I'm trying to organise my itinerary and need a little advice. I'm arriving in colombo at 1pm next week and hope to get a train to Kandy for early evening. Is this possible?

Planning to then stay in kandy for two nights and then get a bus to polonnaruwa in the morning to explore in the afternoon. Then can I get a bus to sigiriya to stay one night there and explore the rock in the early morning? I then want to head to yala national park but I guess I'll have to stay in ella or somewhere recommended to break up the journey. Any thoughts?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandy to the cultural triangle

The last train from Colombo to Kandy is 17:45, but there is a train from Colombo to Peradeniya at 20:00.

Colombo Airport is approx. 35 km north of Colombo (approx. 90-120 mins by bus).

I suggest you stay the 1st night in Negombo (20 mins from the airport) and then take a bus to Polonnaruwa (likely with a change in Kurunegala and Dambulla) the next morning.

You can get a bus from Polonnaruwa to Inamaluwa Junction. Then you can take a bus or tuk tuk to Sigiriya.

From Sigiriya to Yala you will have to pass Kandy, so you spend some time there then.

Yes, breaking the journey in Ella is a good idea. You can go to Ella by train from Peradeniya. Much more scenic than Colombo-Kandy.

Hans

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandy to the cultural triangle

Thank you Hans, that's interesting. How long will the bus be from Negombo to polonnaruwa or to Sigiriya. Do you feel it's best to visit Polonnaruwa first? Would it be saving a lot of stress and time by hiring a driver if so how much would that likely cost from Negombo? Thanks so much for your help!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandy to the cultural triangle

Visiting Polonnaruwa first will save you from backtracking from Kandy and back to Kandy.

Bus from from Negombo to Polonnaruwa will take 6-7 hours plus waiting time.

Public transport generally takes 50-60% longer than going by car/van.

Hiring a car with driver will generally cost USD 60-65/day - one-way from Negombo to Polonnaruwa should be approx. LKR 14,000-15,000.

Hans

4. Re: Kandy to the cultural triangle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 16, 2014