We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Latest car and driver costs??

Auckland N Z
Level Contributor
62 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Latest car and driver costs??

Kiaora

We have just had a boutique hotel in Galle ( where we hope to stay 3 nights at $180 USD per night) quote for car and driver $150 USD per day for an approx. 14 day hire for the two of us following the loop to the south and then up to the hill country and the ancient cities. Travelling later in 2013.

Accommodation for the driver may be on top.

We have the latest 2012 L.P. guide but it really is hard to work out what costs should be now at the start of 2013. We are happy to pay a fair price but feel the quote is on the high side and not certain if tip would be on top.

Any recent info would be much appreciated. Thanks

126 replies to this topic
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Yes, that quote is very overpriced if it is only for the transport.

Hans

22. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:02 am, July 31, 2013

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,684 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Hi Sam,

Thanks for the confirmation that the quoted prices are too high. But as 2-3 of your previous posts were clearly spamming, being unsolicited promotion of 'your' driver no matter how good your intentions might be, this one was reported too.

Feel free to keep on contributing to the forum. General info is always welcomed, and suggestions for a specific driver IMHO are okay solely if

a) The thread poster explicitly asks for such advice

b) Your phrasing is in a style 'PM me for details'

c) Your response is individual, no copypasting between threads

Without this, the forum quickly would become quite unreadable with mainly advertising drivers/operators, both by genuine onetime customers of theirs and by fakes (being Srilankans)...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Doha
6 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Thank you for your replies! The quote I got splits into 3 parts: car rent for 15 days USD786, fuel cost 253 and driver salary 260, in total 1299. The price you recommend - is it just for car rent or is it for the total package? I know we’ll give the driver a tip (and as suggested in tripadvisor forum it’s about local Lupee 500 per day right?). In a case of having a driver and a guide, do people give the same amount to each of them or should I give more to the driver? How does it work? Thanks!

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

LKR 45-50/km is for the total package.

Hans

Doha
6 posts
Save Reply
26. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Thanks for your quick reply! How do I get such price then? Would most travel agency do for this price?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Independent drivers/guides will charge that. Major agencies are a lot more expensive.

Hans

Northwood, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Hi

Our agent has quoted us ( a couple ) $165 for a transfer from Tangalle to Galle ( 80km ), $127 Galle to Beruwala ( 60km ) and $115 Beruwala to airport ( 90km ) and this sounds expensive. I would imagine asking the various hotels to quote will be similar ? Any suggestions ? Paul

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
56,684 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Hi Paul,

Yes clearly overpriced, as for one-way rides the target cost ts Rs 75/km. Hotels also aren't cheapest. Simply ask both hotel and the tuktuks/cabs/beach boys outside the gates once you are there and with some effort for sure you get the right price. Also see criteria in 'how to book day trip' Top Question for further suggestions.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Northwood, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Latest car and driver costs??

Thank you, I thought that was the case and works out about half what we have been quoted. Will look at other thread ! Paul

Reply to: Latest car and driver costs??
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted