We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

Bangalore...
4 posts
Save Topic
India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

Hi,

My wife and I are planning to travel Srilanka in the month of February from Bangalore. I have few questions that i have listed below. It will be of great help getting answers to these:

Planning to spend around 6 nights in SriLanka:

1) How do i manage the currency? Take INR and convert it to LKR? or convert INR to USD

2) Should i book a travel package or manage on my own?

3) If i travel from Colombo to Kandy in Expo Rail, I plan to stay there for 2 nights. What places should i not miss?

4)I like the beaches (Hikkadua), wildlife (Yala National park)

5) I am on a very economical budget and would try to reduce expenses wherever possible

6) Can anybody suggest a intinerary?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

Thanks Erik,

One last question.

28h april- can we do colombo airport to elkaduwa? (We were planning to stay at the amaya hunas falls for a night). How much time would this take?

29th april, check out around 10 and come to kandy and stay at days inn. evening- temple, dance.

If we go to hunas falls, we will have to miss the train ride you have mentioned earlier. Or, is there a train ride from elkaduwa (amaya hunas) to kandy?

The only other option is on the way from col to kandy- visit sigiriya rock, tea plantation. Next day morning take the train ride, visit elephant orphange, evening temple and dance and relax. What do you suggest? Won't be able to go see any of the falls.

Thanks,

See

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

Colombo Airport to Elkaduwa will take approx. 4 hours by car. There are no trains from Elkaduwa to Kandy.

Hans

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

Thanks a ton! Erik and Hans :)

I have finalised our plan and completed the booking. Hope to have a great time. Please do provide tips and notes, that we should keep in mind, will be extremely grateful

1.) 28th Morning: Colombo airport to Dambulla

- Cave Temple in the evening

- Sigiriya rock (my husband might like to trek) in the morning.

- Anything on the way from colombo to dambula we could have a quick stop over at?

2.) 29th Morning- Transfer Dambulla to kandy

- Anything on the way? We are thinking of visiting the Giragama Tea plantation. We Would love any other place on the way from where we could catch a waterfalls or a scenic view :) not mandatory, but only if it falls on the way. :-)

In Kandy- Peredaniya botanical garden, kandyan dance, temple of tooth, shopping

3.) 30th Morning- Kandy to Hikkaduwa

- Relax, shop and dine :)

-anything on the way from kandy to hikka worth having a quick stopping over at?

4.) 1st May- Hikkaduwa to colombo Airport

Thanks for all your help and advice!! I wouldn't have been able to chalk this out without your advice. Thanks a lot for being so generous with your help and so patient in answering the queries :)

P.S: I got a great car/driver deal too :) Looking forward to srilanka :)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,522 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

Hi again,

1) Not much. Kurunegala is not bad for lunch places.

2) Can't find the Girigama but assume it's not far from Matale. If you take the Wattegama detour on Matale-Kandy route you can visit the Hunas Falls waterfall (yes with that hotel); total detour compared to direct Matale-Kandy is 1.5 hour at least.

3) Nothing quick, Kitulgala for rafting would be a detour and Pinawela is probably too close to Kandy. The usual resting places are Ambepussa on Kandy-Colombo road and now also the brand new rest stops at the Expressway.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
54 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

Thanks a lot Erik :)

16. Re: India(Bangalore) to SriLanka Travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 22, 2014