We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa on same day?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
234 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa on same day?

Hi - changed my itinerary yet again. Based on the latest, can anyone advise if it is possible to do both Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa in one day if you have a car/driver/guide?

I know Anuradhapura takes half a day. If you take into account lunch, drive time to Polonnaruwa and time to visit the site, is it do-able?

We are also staying that night in the Kandalama lake area, so will it be be ok to drive (i.e. safe) back in the evening from Polonnaruwa to Kandalama?

Thanks so much.

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa on same day?

The driving time from Anuradhapura to Polonnaruwa is approx. 2.5 hours and you will need 2-3 hours to experience Polonnaruwa ancient city.

Too many ruins ruins in one day for my taste.

After dark elephants may be crossing the roads, so not all drivers will be happy to to the drive after dark.

Hans

Panadura, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
589 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa on same day?

Anuradhapura/Polonnaruwa and back to Kandalama on same day is technically possible, but not that practical if you wish to see many places. Also you will be paying 50$ per head for both places (25$ each), and I feel it's not worth while if you do not have enough time to see the ruins and temples.

An alternative would be, to stay overnight in Polonnaruwa or skip one of the places (Polonnaruwa has less ruins than Anuradhapura, maybe you can skip it) and head direct to Kandalama if you are out of time.

cheers

Tharindu

3. Re: Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa on same day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 18, 2013