We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Interaction with animals

Brela, Croatia
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Topic
Interaction with animals

Hello,

I may leave for Sri Lanka for 16 days starting the end of January. I am interested, is it possible to swim with dolphins / mantas / whale sharks in any way? And, is it possible to go into the water with sharks (in a cage)? If the latter is possible, which species is it possible to encounter?

Could you recommend some other things to do in Sri Lanka, that has something to do with the title of the topic? Thank you in advance

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,957 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Interaction with animals

Hi there,

Nothing fish/sea mammal related, sorry. There are dolphin tours at Mirissa and Kalpitiya, the former also for whales, but one stays in the boat. The other fish we've never heard of in Lanka.

As for land animals, one can help bathing an elephant and ride it too - e.g. near Pinawela-Kandy. And in some areas it's more the animals wanting to interact with YOU, e.g. over-enthousiastic monkeys, than the other way round. General advice for your kinds of visitors is to have rabies vaccination as e.g. the monkeys can carry it, and a bite or scratch is easily done.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Interaction with animals

You can swim with turtles in Hikkaduwa and Unawatuna.

When snorkeling at the coral reefs you can see myriads of smaller coral fish.

Whale/dolphin watching is often 8-12 km out in the sea. I doubt you will like to swim there.

Hans

Brela, Croatia
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Interaction with animals

Thank you for your help. And on Maldives, is any of the above mentioned possible?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,957 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Interaction with animals

Ask in the Maldives forum I'd say. Probably something more with dolphins at least and maybe mantas/sharks....

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brela, Croatia
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Interaction with animals

Thanks, I will

6. Re: Interaction with animals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:45 am, December 23, 2012
Brela, Croatia
Level Contributor
80 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Interaction with animals

Nice to know, thanks

8. Re: Interaction with animals

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, December 16, 2013