We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

Hi

I'm coming to Sri Lanka later this month am am wondering about where to buy LKR? I've read on this forum that you are only allowed to bring 5 000 rupeees into the country but the posts were over 2 years old so I was wondering if that was still the case? Do they even bother to search people for money at the airport? Airports are usually notorious for giving lousy rates. Is this the case at Colombo airport? I'm coming from Suadi Arabia. Are Suadi Riyals widely accepted at money changers in Sri Lanka? I'll be staying at Unawatuna and will probably go to Galle a few times.

Thanks

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

LKR 5,000 is still the rule, but you are not likely to get searched.

Changing LKR outside Sri Lanka is not a great idea as the rate will likely be lousy.

There are 6-7 bank counters in arrivals hall at Colombo Airport. The all give the same rates (bank rates).

SAR is accepted by banks and money changers in Sri Lanka.

Hans

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

Thanks for your help!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
66 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

Yes I agree it's easy to exchange cash at the airport - likely a much better rate than buying prior to arrival!

uk
Level Contributor
163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

Very easy to change money in Sri Lanka ... U can do so at the airport .. We arrived last week an got a rate of 202 rupees to uk sterling

... Not that we had any intention of changing money in the uk but I checked at heathrow an they were offering 187 rupees!

Also when in Sri Lanka u can change money at most banks .. Bank of Ceylon for example... Just take ur passport with u when exchanging!

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
12,999 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

As I posted back in May this year, the banks in Galle were giving the same rate as the exchange booths at the airport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

I exchanged British pounds at a shop called Prasanna Exchange in Colombo 6

The day I changed it was 210 rupees per pound at the store compared 208 at the airport

Shiva

1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

I'm getting conflicting reports - one, that Sri Lanka banks shut at 2pm, and another, that there are at least a half dozen counters (bureaux or banks?) within Colombo airport that are open 24/7. My flight gets in around 1pm so, if the former is true, I may not clear customs/luggage etc in time! Hence information on this is rather important. All help welcome.

Edited: 1:50 pm, October 14, 2012
8. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:45 am, December 23, 2012
Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

Yes, the 6-7 airport bank counters are open 24/7/365.

Normal banking hours (outside the airport) are 9 am - 3 pm Mondays to Fridays.

Hans

Mumbai, India
5 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Where can I buy Sri Lankan Rupees? (LKR)

I will be travelling to Sri Lanka from India next week. Can INR be directly converted to LKR at the Colombo airport? Also, what is the preferred form of carrying money, do international visa /master credit/debit cards from Indian Banks work or would we need cash or travellers cheques?