We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best safari in Sri Lanka?

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
61 posts
8 reviews
Best safari in Sri Lanka?

Hi, we will be traveling to Sri Lanka and spending two to three weeks there and want to partake in a real safari, with a guide but not many people, and as far away from humanity as possible.

Can anyone recommend a particular area and/or safari organizer? And offer any more advise on must-see's or must-do's in Sri Lanka? We want to explore, see the culture, see the wildlife, hike and go to a deserted beautiful beach --and figure we will have the time to do all of these things. So all input is greatly appreciated!

sri lanka
10 posts
1. Re: Best safari in Sri Lanka?

hai

best safari place yala national park, best beach down soutch tangalle, reach me for more info rasikaleta@yahoo.com

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
2. Re: Best safari in Sri Lanka?

Hi Mendobabe

You will find it hard to escape groups of other people if you do the regular jeep safari into the parks such as Yala or Minneriya. The jeeps tend to congregate at places of interest, for instance at large groups of elephants, with drivers tipping eachother off as to where there are currently things to see.

You might be better doing something a bit different. I don't know where you are staying, but hotels such as Sigiriya Village in the cultural triangle and Hunas Falls in the Knuckles mountains, have their own excellent resident naturalists who will tailor make a trip to suit you. Places like Wasgomuwa National Park spring to mind, although you are unlikely to see the range of wildlife that you would in the more popular safari locations like Yala.

Hunas Falls is an excellent location for independent exploring on foot from the hotel with some well defined trails through the mountains and tea plantations, with excellent wildlife viewing opportunities.

Regarding beaches, Mirissa on the south coast is picture perfect and you are bound to find a quiet palm fringed spot to call your own, although Mirissa lacks local feel in my view. It has more European people there than Sri Lankan and western music plays at the little cafes too. I would rather have a slightly less scenic beach where I can talk to local people and feel I am actually in Sri Lanka rather than anywhere else. One lovely quiet beach on the south coast is the one running from the delightful Kadolana Guesthouse at Nilwella, east towards the little fishing harbour at Kudawela. The Tangalle area also offers quiet, beautiful stretches of beach, like the one at Rekawa where turtles come to lay their eggs.

For a real getaway, maybe the east coast beaches would suit you better. As visitors trickle back there, beaches like Nilaveli will offer the sort of beach that you and I are looking for.

Sue

Negombo, Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
225 posts
3. Re: Best safari in Sri Lanka?

Hi Mengobe.

There are many National Parks. They are Kaudulla Nationala Park, Minneriya National Park, Habarana Echo Park, Udavalawa National park.. The problem is that we can see many Elephants there. But the Yala National Park is the Best park where many other animals are there with Elephants.

In Bundala National Park, we can see lot of Birds.

Shehan

Horsham
10 posts
4. Re: Best safari in Sri Lanka?

Hi,

This isn't a safari but if you want to explore you can visit the singharaja rainforest or the Horton Plains National Park. In Horton Plains the trail to the worlds end is the most popular but there are many other less used/less known trails where you will feel completely isolated and together with nature.

www.lankalibrary.com/wlife/parks/horton.htm

Also the knuckles mountain range has many trails to explore. The places deanstone ans reverston are the best places to enter the range.

St Austell
Level Contributor
3,588 posts
35 reviews
5. Re: Best safari in Sri Lanka?

Agreed. The Knuckles is a fantastic place. Try the reserve at Pitawala Patana with the short walk to the viewpoint of "Mini World's End". And also the Babarakiri Waterfall near Rattota.

Sue

6. Re: Best safari in Sri Lanka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, December 22, 2009