We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

London
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

Hi guys,

I was ready to book my last minute holiday to Sri Lanka having read some geat reviews about the country itself and what there is to do in the South West region of SL but came across a message posted by he Foreign & Commonwealth Organisation. On their website they highly advise against travelling to SL due to the terror threats and trouble they have been experiencing. It's making me think twice about booking my trip. Please see link below.

www.fco.gov.uk/servlet/Front…

I guess for those of you that are soon to be travelling to SL, the advice is there and you just need to take extra care and be vigilant at all times.

This may appear a silly question to some but I'm wondering, for those that have visited SL this year, is it a place I should really avoid going to completely in the next couple of months? After reading all the great reviews, I'm still interested in visiting SL but undecided. If I am to book, I will be staying in Beruwela region.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
987 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

Probably safer anywhere in west and south SL than in London.

Ahungalla, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Kalutara, Ahungalla
Level Contributor
5,461 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

Hi there,,,,

Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka ??????

YES, of course it is, and really always has been for tourists, there has never been any attacks of any kind against tourists to Sri Lanka.

I have been twice this year and in two weeks time will be going back there once more, i do not have , or never have had any worries about going there.

Some simple rules maybe for first time travellers:

Keep away from the north and east, well this is out of bounds anyway

Keep away from military installations and police staions, unless you have good reason to go there, hopefully not.

Avoid large gatherings

Try to avaoid travelling on local bus services, not beacuse of any terror threat, but because of extremely bad driving on them!!

And, well just do what you would normally do in any holiday destination, and that is be aware of what is going on around you.

Follow those simple rules, and you will just fine.

So, i say, go ahead and book your holiday, you will regret it if you don't !!

15 days and counting now till lift off !!!!!!

Regards

Dave

london
Level Contributor
193 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

My wife and I, plus four teenage childten have just returned from SL.

We all fhad a fantastic time and met many great people,DO go and have a great holiday

Amsterdam
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

We just returned from a great trip there. Travelled through most of the country, even to two of the remote "risky" areas in the east, Trincomallee and Arugam Bay.

My feeling is that the terrorist threat is overexaggerated. You will likely have to pass through many security check points. In the east and in some neighborhoods of Colombo, there is a heavy security presence, with gun-toting soldiers every 100 meters. But aside from that, we never felt any risk.

Much more of an issue is how desperate the people are on the streets to sell you something, and because the exchange rate is so favorable they will cheat you and often without your noticing it.

Ordering a simple meal in a guest house can remarkably double the price of your hotel bill. So ask for prices or a menu.

UK
Level Contributor
253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

Had three weeks in Feb 07 had a wonderful time and didn't feel unsafe at all in any way shape or form.

We are going again for certain

Pontypridd, United...
Level Contributor
382 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

From the Telegrah (UK) today:

Anna Murphy relishes Sri Lanka's lush plantations, tasty curries, quaint traditions, lovely beaches - and lack of fellow travellers.

Much of my life I have wanted to go to Sri Lanka. But every time I've been on the verge of booking, the Tamils have caused trouble. This year, when I finally bought a flight, things kicked off again. But I went anyway, and am glad I did. Avoid the north-east, the centre of the troubles, and you feel safe.

At times I felt that I had the island to myself - and what a superb island it is: its beaches are Bounty-advert perfection, its tea country the prettiest I've seen, its temples drip with character. The food is sublime and my accommodation was fantastic - and affordable.

Today, though, I advise ... for this wonderful island: check in as soon as you can, before the rest of the world discovers its charms.

south wales uk
Level Contributor
12 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

I have just booked a holiday to unawatuna forth whole month of december and I am taking my 5 kids!!! we went last year when most reviews said to stay away!! we had a great SAFE time didnt experience or hear of any trouble whatso ever!! I would agree with a felllow writer your more likely to run into trouble in London than Lanka!!

go for it and have the holiday of alifetime!!!

8. Re: Is it safe to travel to Sri Lanka at all?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:21 pm, September 09, 2009