We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

Just did a search and most recent posts focus on where to stay in Kashgar. Has anyone visited recently, from Pakistan, and could tell me whether it's still worth visiting? My friend and I are wondering whether to 'add-on' a one week trip across the Pakistani border into China to visit Kashgar. The most recent travel guide I have is dated 2007 and we've heard that things may have changed since then. Many thanks for any information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,086 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

Depends when you wanna go. The crossing is closed till May 2013 due to seasonal snow.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

Thanks. I was thinking more about whether it's worth the extra money + travelling time from the Pakistani border to visit a city which has been largely rebuilt now and I've been told that very little of the original old city now remains. I've wanted to go for years, since reading "In Xanadu" by William Dalrymple, but is it still the iconic place it once was? Is the Sunday Market still an amazing experience, or will the bazaars in Peshawar be equally rewarding?

Our proposed trip is a 3-week jeep trek around northern Pakistan - we're just wondering to pay quite a bit more cash to add on one week through to Kashgar.

Chian
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

Hi there

If you visit kashgar its still worth to come in June,July,Aug,Sep,but for the selfdrive in china you need more pepar,you should contact with local agency in kashgar...as like old tours tours,kashgar trip,

they do offer the bset price,,,

cheers

Saskatchewan, Canada
Level Contributor
1,808 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

Hi I have been recently to China, of course having overland trip to Kashgar china is worth visiting. Just keep in mind this year border going to be open from 1st April. In the past Khunjerab Pass officially been opened from 1st May.

About staying in Kashgar, i will recommend New Simon hotel. Try to spend few days in Kashgar and don't forget to visit Eid Gah mosqueand Kashgar sunday market.

HT

islamabad
Level Contributor
2,096 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

Thanks again for sharing Pak-China border related news with fellow travelers.

6. Re: Is it worth visiting Kashgar still?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, March 26, 2014