We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Ulaanbaatar
Search

Safety

Conwy County...
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
Safety
Save

Hi I have been thinking of doing a trip to Ulaanbaatar next year with a friend. I have heard a lot of bad stories about the locals hating foreigners, we are both white British males. What is it like in the city? Are we likely to get into trouble for being foreign?. We are both well travelled never had any trouble in other countries we are both respectable people, just interested in history and culture.

16 replies to this topic
Edgewood, Maryland
Level Contributor
34 posts
1 review
1. Re: Safety
Save

Hi,

I just came back from Ulaanbaatar two days ago after a 10 day trip in central Mongolia. I did not experience anything bad in UB. People are very nice and welcoming. Locals warned us about pick pocketing walking in UB but it was pretty safe.

Have a nice trip!

Conwy County...
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Safety
Save

Thanks for the reply I have always wanted to go to Mongolia and I do a bit of research before I go to a new country. There is some worrying posts I have read about Ulaanbaatar from other tourists about xenophobic attacks etc. Which was a bit off putting.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
5,914 posts
13 reviews
7 helpful votes
3. Re: Safety
Save

Mike my personal experience was that it was safe

I went walking to find some bars for a beer and not only on main street (Peace Av) but down some lane ways

Felt and was secure

Conwy County...
Level Contributor
71 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Safety
Save

OK thanks you've put my mind at ease what is it like there for a beer? Is the nightlife any good.

Level Contributor
23 posts
5. Re: Safety
Save

no problem

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
38 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
6. Re: Safety
Save

Mongolia is a pretty safe place for most travelers to visit. Mongolia is one of the least crime-ridden countries to visit. With one of the lowest crime rates in Asia, you won't have to worry too much about getting into trouble while visiting, so long as you play it safe and use common sense.About pick pocketing,yes,we have that kind of issue.But,when you are with your guide and being a bit cautious will make your visit great.Welcome to new UB :)

Mendham, New Jersey
Level Contributor
184 posts
80 reviews
66 helpful votes
7. Re: Safety
Save

pick pocketing!!! ,definitely YESSSSSS,,,all over,especially at the main square during the day...and also do not bother trying to reporter to the police,even if you have the location(gps) and the picture of the thief,in our case was the cell phone..we were told at the hotel they go 50,50.

Mongolia
Level Contributor
49 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Safety
Save

It is a safe.

For night clubs- it`d better go with local man.

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
121 posts
16 reviews
29 helpful votes
9. Re: Safety
Save

Sainuu,

Pick pocketing can be an issue - but there's no need to be paranoid. Just apply common sense such as not having your wallet in your pocket and not leaving a bag unattended in a bar. It also depends on where you visit in UB and at what time of year.

You mention nightclubs. Some Mongolian men are unhappy to see western men talking to Mongolian women in a bar or nightclub. Be discreet to avoid offending. If you want to find some good clubs or bars to visit before you visit then you can always ask on one of the open Facebook groups used by Mongolians and expats such as Expats In Mongolia.

Hope this helps. As we say here in Mongolia, Sain Yavaarai - Journey Well. Jess

Central Finland...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
10. Re: Safety
Save

I was there 10 days in April and must say that Mongols were so friendly and nice! Very few spoke well English so they might have been a bit reserved at first, but I never felt unsafe. We stood in Zaya's Hostel whose owner was sooo friendly and welcoming! They also arranged couple of day trips and the guides were also amazing. We got chance to visit some local nomad family and they also were friendly (a bit shy though).

No problems on the street either. Took couple of night walks and never had any harassment.

Edited: 12:44 pm, December 11, 2018
Reply to: Safety
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted