We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldive weddings

Langley, Canada
7 posts
Save Topic
Maldive weddings

Is a marriage between a UK citizen and a Muslim citizen of Maldives and performed in Maldives legal in the UK if there was no UK civil ceremony ?

Cardiff, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,353 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldive weddings

To be honest Susan I think that's a question for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, who are responsible for advising and preparing documentation for weddings of UK citizens outside of the UK.

I think you need a full, legal answer to your question and not the opinions/thoughts of a bunch of Maldives crazy holiday makers.

This might be of help though: https://www.gov.uk/marriage-abroad

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldive weddings

I'd agree, this isn't the place to seek legal answers. You haven't even provided enough info,,from what sort of legalities were completed in the Maldives, I would assume the certificate would have to be in some way ratified in the Maldives, a ceremony in the U.K. Is irrelevant. It's even irrelevant in the uk, it's the signing of the register or whatever that makes it legally binding. . It's about what happened and what process was followed in the Maldives.

Male
Level Contributor
1,136 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldive weddings

If it was a legal ceremony in the Maldives, then it's legal worldwide. The British citizen would have had to submit all the right documents for the Maldives wedding in order for it to be legal in the Maldives and then notified the UK authorities.

If it was one of those beach weddings, then it's not even legal in the Maldives let alone anywhere else in the world.

Kat

Langley, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldive weddings

Thanks...appreciate the information!

Langley, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldive weddings

Thanks. Appreciate the info!

London, United...
Level Contributor
428 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldive weddings

Slightly off topic, but this is quite interesting- there's quite a lot of restrictions for a foreign man to marry a Maldivian woman. twothousandisles.com/story/…

Langley, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldive weddings

It was a Moslem ceremony in Male, with 2 witnesses, and a court visit. I guess that makes it legal all over the world. But no UK paperwork involved before or after.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldive weddings

There doesn't need to be uk paperwork,

Who got married fhen? Why are you asking,,,sorry, I'm curious,😃😃😃

Langley, Canada
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldive weddings

A relaltive...marriage falling apart...wondering if it was legal in UK as it was a Male wedding, with 2 witnesses and a court visit. Man is Muslim, from Maldives...she is English. Sounds like it's legal in the UK .....tho so many of the "ceremonies" in Maldives are just that, and not official weddings.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldive weddings

This sounds like something different to a hotel ceremony done by guest relations though. She needs to see a solicitor..