We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives (lots of questions)

Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Maldives (lots of questions)

I've recently been interested in going to Maldives for about 5 days (stop over on our way to Thailand).

I dont know anything about the island.

-Can you stay in a nice resort on the beach for cheap all inclusive? If my husband and I can stay there and pay only like $150.00 total per day (food and room) we'd be interested.

Can someone give us names of nice places that are cheaper.

-Also, I'm thinking of going Oct. Is that a good time to go? When is raining season? When is it cheaper season? I'm quite open right now.

-What is the food they serve? Is it generally asian cuisine or more so "american"?

Anything thing anyone else can tell me as I'm very new to even hearing about the Island...?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Hi mate , which island are you asking about?

Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

All of them! haha

I really dont know... Somewhere nice :)

cfc
Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
1,349 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Well that narrows it done a bit !! lolol

put the name of any island you are interested in the top left search box and it will bring up the reviews.Good hunting, daunting task lolol

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

m1k............ The Maldives are made up of many islands, normally 1 hotel on each island, accessible by boat or seaplane dependant how far away it is.

Grab a handful of brochures and that will give you lots of ideas as to what sort of island you want.

Cheap season is June/July.

Food is Maldivian! lol

.............. activegirl

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Food is rarely Maldivian. It is international with many resorts (though not in your price range) opting for gourmet/trendy food. You'll be able to sample local food at buffets or on special Maldivian nights (once a week on some islands) if you wish. The only food of Maldivian origin is likely to be fish (and even then it MAY not be) breadfruit and bananas. Pretty much everything else is imported. Resorts sometimes have Chinese or Thai restaurants but at the lower end of the price scale you are not likely to have a choice of restaurant.

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Naks ... have you not had a Maldivian theme night on any of your visits?? ........... AG

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Yes of course - I mentioned that in my post. m1k2dog3 clearly has not much info on the country, not appearing to even know there are separate islands and you told her that the food was Maldivian which doesn't really give much away if you have no idea what a Maldivian eats, lol or no lol. I was trying to be a bit more helpful.

Maldivian night is my favourite food-wise - especially now that they seem to have conquered their desire to bake cakes in lurid shades of yellow and green.

Canada
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Are some islands cheaper than others?

Which are some of the "cheaper" islands but still just as beautiful?

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Naks ..... right on the nail! you echo my sentiments! lol!

m1K ... yes there are some islands cheaper than others but to fully appreciate what the Maldives offer, and what sort of place you want, ie good house reef, snorkelling, entertainment etc etc, beach bungalow, water villa etc. I reiterate my suggestion that you grab some brochures to start you off and see which "cheaper" place fits your budget. But at $150 per day for both of you is really pushing it and I feel this may price you out of the market. The only alternative is to find a island that you could have a "garden" room (meaning a room in the middle of the island, with no sea views, and usually in blocks) but would you want that?

Maybe other posters can suggest some "cheap" islands?

......... AG

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maldives (lots of questions)

Naks ..... right on the nail! you echo my sentiments! lol!

m1K ... yes there are some islands cheaper than others but to fully appreciate what the Maldives offer, and what sort of place you want, ie good house reef, snorkelling, entertainment etc etc, beach bungalow, water villa etc. I reiterate my suggestion that you grab some brochures to start you off and see which "cheaper" place fits your budget. But at $150 per day for both of you is really pushing it and I feel this may price you out of the market. The only alternative is to find a island that you could have a "garden" room (meaning a room in the middle of the island, with no sea views, and usually in blocks) but would you want that?

Maybe other posters can suggest some "cheap" islands?

......... AG