We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Thanks for your review but please can you give more info, eg meals, transfer (is it always by boat from Kuramathi - a visit to the chiropracter joke is not funny for me having had spinal surgery twice for disc problems!) We have booked with seaplane transfers - no word of that being only as far as Kuramathi.

What's the food like? Do you get your own table for meals? What else did you see on the reef? Did you go on any boat trips from there? Any recommendations for the spa? Can you give some prices eg beer/water/wine/snack, please!

Hope you get to see this before it vanishes without trace. Can you please post some pics to go with your review. We're going in a couple of months.

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,226 Reviews
Kuramathi
United States
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Nakatcha

According to a review in a German Maldives forum dated 6 December 06 the following is the drill for "plane" transfer.

This is my less than perfect translation of what the review said.

'The flight transfer (there and back) never takes place directly to Kandholhu, but rather via Maayafushi, Fesdu or a Platform near Ellaidhoo. The additional boat transfer is either with Speedboat or boat-ship (Ari explorer I/II) and only in rare cases with the Dhoni. The flight lasts respectively 20-25 minutes – the additional boat transfer up to 30 minutes. '

All three of those places look to be about five miles away from your destination so it doesn't look like the worst boat transfer you could have. As a special extra "bonus" you may get to see the "new and improved" W Fesdu afterall (smiles).

Mentioned in this post
Maayafushi Island
Maayafushi Island
North Ari Atoll
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Gee thanks Skibum! The sight of the "new improved" Fesdu would break my heart! Let's hope it's not that one! I was under the impression it was either a direct transfer, or the Explorer from Kuramathi so I wasn't expecting problems in the spine department - even the luxury private transfer speedboat to Cocoa was a bit uncomfortable since we went round the outside of South Male rather than across the channel and within the atoll.

Still, all in all it sounds good from Ian01's review - I can't wait!

Thanks for the input since the chances are that Ian01 won't check in before the thread disappears.

Hope you had a Cool Yule!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,226 Reviews
Kuramathi
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

By the way, with your "less than perfect" German (good enough for me!) what did the rest of the review say about it?

United States
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Nakatcha

I'll take a look at the review and see if I can summarize the major points.

In the meantime you might want to take a look at this link.

The Text is in German but it has quite a few pictures of the island including some interiors of the rooms and bar/restaurant. You can click on the photos and they expand.

Also there are some "photos" of menus that are in English and you can read them if you expand the picture. Also some price lists for the Spa and some lists of boat excursions both free and paid variety (again all in English).

http://www.tschauder.de/html/kandholhu.html

United States
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Now that I actually paid attention to what it says on the link you just have to click on the hyperlink at the top of the page that says "Direckt Zur Diashow" and it lets you see all the photos expanded.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Thanks so much for that link - I have done the pics (don't much fancy the food but who cares it's not what we're going for) but am encouraged that we won't go thirsty! The text will have to wait a bit - Babelfish wasn't much help - I think the page was too big so I'll have to paste it in in chunks. I'm sorry to have asked you - I hadn't realised it was practically a book!

Thanks for your help Skibum - it's much appreciated.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

BTW - it seems they have another 2 DLX rooms I didn't know about which aren't the same as the other 6 - I guess they must be new.

Some of the pictures were a bit alarming - mouldy cushions and threadbare towels but perhaps they were about to be changed.

Sounds good in the excusion department - we might get to visit mantas as we hoped! We've never tried a night snorkel - I'm not at all sure about that but like to think we'll give it a try - we've done JUST before sunrise before and it was really active down there.

United States
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

Nakatcha

Yes the deluxe bungalows D7 and D8 were apparantly just opened in the 3rd quarter of 06 according to the reviewer.

In some respects I guess I would find this a bit irritating if I booked this place a year ago (not sure when you guys booked). Originally as I remember they had D1-D6 and the four water bungalows. The six standard bungalows were suppose to be for staff and overflow use. SO you were booking an island that only "normally" had 10 occupied bungalows. Now suddenly we have 18 potentially occupied bungalows. On an island that small thats a big difference.

Anyway according the reviewer D7 and D8 were originally spa treatment rooms and were converted to guest bungalows.

He says that they are appointed nicer and are larger than D1-D6 and they have all that open glass with the curtains for privacy (assume you saw the pictures of these units). According to the reviewer however they can't keep anyone in these units. People move to one of the other deluxe bungalows when one becomes available. This is because they sit behind the water bungalows so there is no good ocean view they dont have an open bath and there is no TV (smiles). On the back side you see a straw wall thats three feet from the back of unit and on the front side there is a stone outdoor shower (unfortunately not private enough however to be used for nude showering).

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

We booked in Octoer and knew then that the Standard rooms were used as they were in the price panel. We hope we don't get one of the new rooms because of the lack of open sea view and anyone who wants our TV can come and take it - we don't want it!

10. Re: Kandholhu - Iano81 - more info please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, August 21, 2009