We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Privacy!

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Privacy!

There are so many resorts to pick from!! I am going on a honeymoon in January. The most important thing is privacy. We are on a budget of merely $2500 USD or so, perhaps a bit more. We'll be flying from India, so airfare won't be much. Our trip shouldn't exceed five days though. $200-$400 per night will work. But the MOST important thing is privacy. Snorkeling, bars, etc, doesn't matter. If we didn't see anyone for five days we'd be happy. Beach villas, garden villas, or water bungalows all are fine.

Any suggestions as to the best island/resort for privacy?? I've heard good things about Bandos, Fihalhohi, and Sun.

Help!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Privacy!

Just arrived from my honeymoon in Vakarufalhi. It was great.

You do get privacy there. And the price is within your budget.

I don't know any other resort in the Maldives, so can't comment on those you mention...

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Privacy!

Thanks Sergio. Can you tell me more about how private it really is? Like, people in the distance, people beyond a fence, or no people anywhere? If you have any pictures that'd be great too. Thanks for your help. Anyone else have a suggestion?

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Privacy!

Hi DJveed

You don't say when your honeymoon is - we often go to the Maldives just before Christmas for example and the resorts are pretty empty (so you might find that an island with,say 70 rooms is pretty much deserted). If you stay away from places that say "lively" you'll prbably be fine I'm not too sure how much privacy you really want - do you just want no neighbours for 20 feet? If so, that's easy , but this answer is geared to the "no neighbours" request:

Your budget is tiny for what I think you might want (seaplanes are probably out) so try looking on Google at Nika - it's on a small island not so far from Male (so you could probably save some money by using a boat to get there rather than flying). It has about 25 rooms and the whole island is divided up into private beaches (small breakwaters seperate each beach). You have to walk around the centre of the island to get to the rooms (and I guess that if you really do have to decide whether you like morning or afternoon sun as you can't wander around the beach to get both). I've not stayed there - simply island hopped to get some antibiotics. The rooms are spacius, but I ought to warn you that I remember ceiling fans, not aircon! The guests were mostly Italian last time I visited so food and drink etc was very Italian-focussed.

Hope that helps

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Privacy!

suedunc -

Thank you. I'll be going 2nd week of January or so. Hopefully it will still be dead. Is Nika still considered a "nice" island? I understand my budget is tight. But - if Nika is about as good as the beaches of India - I might as well stick to the Indian rupee and save myself thousands of dollars. So would you still consider it good for a romantic honemmon spot?

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Privacy!

suedunc -

Thank you. I'll be going 2nd week of January or so. Hopefully it will still be dead. Is Nika still considered a "nice" island? I understand my budget is tight. But - if Nika is about as good as the beaches of India - I might as well stick to the Indian rupee and save myself thousands of dollars. So would you still consider it good for a romantic honeymoon spot?

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Privacy!

Hi djveed

January is high season you have no chance of any of the islands being "dead" at that time of the year !! Fihalhohi although a lovely island i dont think it would be what you are looking for as there are usualy children on the island as it caters well for families the same goes for Bandos and sun although sun is big enough to find somewhere on your own, you need to look at smaller islands from what you say but the trouble with that is they get booked up quickly and as said before it is high season have a look at Asdu sun island there are only 30 rooms on this island

regards susie

Bath UK
Destination Expert
for Bath
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Privacy!

HI djveed

I think you have probably chosen the BUSIEST time to go to the Maldives. It's absolute high season for us Europeans and I suspect your best bet is to find yourself a travel agent that can find you space (tho it might be easier if your flight is from India, not Europe).

In answer to your question, Nika was "private", but the walled in beaches didn't tempt me to book there.

The Maldives aren't exactly famous for long deserted beaches, more the sensation of being in the middle of nowhere, though you can usually spend 15-45 minutes walking around most of the smaller islands without bumping into too many people (and by that I mean number of rooms not acreage). Perhaps think about why you want to go - people go there for a variety of reasons:

- Wonderful spas

- Great diving

- Somewhere safe for the children to play

- House reefs for snorkelling right on your door

- Surfing (only a few spots, don't panic about there being any waves)

- Away from it all - no beach merchants

- Great groups of people to dance the night away

As you can imagine, these groups don't necessarily mix. But if you can set some preferences, it's easier to navigate through the multitude of options.

Perhaps decide whether your idea of bliss is being able to wander barefoot all day, every day, or whether you like to dress up for Dinner.

If you prefer casual, relaxed (I go there to dive, snorkel and catch up on reading novels, not to look smart), I think Makunudu might meet your budget (can send you photos); Coco Palm is slightly more upmarket, but you'd need a seaplane to get there. Banyan tree is another great place, more formal, but perhaps out of your budget for the time of year.

There's been a lot of rebuilding since the Tsunami and there's a general trend away from the traditional resort to the "Hiltons/Four Seasons air-con capsule over the water"- virtually every island can arrange romantic dinners on the beach, on a sandbank with with waiter etc

If you fancy a waterbungalow then you will either have to get used to wearing thongs all day or dipping your feet in the water and sprinting to/from your room - the mahogany decking gets hot in the sun!

Hope you find the holiday of your dreams!

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Privacy!

djveed, in Vakarufalhi you'll certainly have a lot of privacy.

There are 50 rooms (all independent beach bungalows) on the island.

They are 3/4 meters away from each other (minimum). You have your own bit of beach. You do not see more than 4/5 visitors on the beach at any time of the day. After diner you can walk around the island without seeing anyone. No one is looking trhough the fence (lolol)...

Well, I think you wont get more privacy than this anywhere else...

I have photos. You can download them on http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J7IOKP69

I have hundreds more. Ask if you want any particular view.

Sérgio

New York
Level Contributor
14 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Privacy!

Thanks so much for your help guys. This is the consensus:

Vakarufalhi

Makunudu

Nika

Asdu

Sun

Sergio the website you gave me for Vakarufalhi didn't seem to work. If anyone has any pictures of the accomdations at ANY of these five islands, pleaes let me know. Privacy is priority. What do you guys suggest?

THANKS AGAIN!

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Privacy!

djveed,

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by privacy?

If you are talking privacy in the sense of wild naked "frolicking" or even discrete naked "frolicking" then I think you are out of luck.

The closest you can really get to privacy is a water bungalow on some islands. I have personally stayed at Mirihi and can attest that some of the water bungalows offer very good privacy (10-17) . However the price is a bit outside your range (more like 500 a night) and I seriously doubt you can get a reservation for January. In fact you probably need to be making some decision very soon as the smaller islands tend to fill up in January.

For less adventurous privacy Vakarufalhi is probably not a bad choice. Good plant growth between beach bungalows.

Website for Vakarufalhi is:

http://www.vakaru.com/

You can find some photos at:

bilder.malediven.net/Vakarufalhi/index.htm

Just click on the first thumbnail picture and then click on each photo to advance to the next one.