We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Full Moon & Meedhuparru

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Full Moon & Meedhuparru

Hi

Am going to both of the above resorts end of November - cottage and Water Village respectively.

Can anyone answer:-

1. People keep telling me i wont need shoes - is this true of both?

2. What is the acceptable amount to tip room boys and waiters and who else are you supposed to tip?

3. Is it still rainy end of November?

4. Please tell me the white wine is drinkable.......

Sorry all stupid questions but have spent so much on this hol !

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

Hi Hutchy

I have not been to either of these resorst so i can only tell you what i have read, Full Moon is not a no news no shoes island, it is quite a lively resort by all accounts with plenty of entertainment with 100+ rooms and 50 water bungalows. Meed is also a large island with 215 rooms and plenty of activities. Tipping is a very personel thing but these guys work very hard to make your stay a memorable one so if you think they have earned it dig deep there pay is very low, your rep will tell you wahat is usual, depending on service we give our room boy $25 dollars a week same for our waiter, the other people to tip are the bar staff and crew boys on the boats, when you get there $1 each suitcase when taken to your room, Is it still rainy end of nov. ?????????? no one can predict the weather but as a general rule nov isnt too bad you may get the odd shower you may not you may get the odd day that it rains all day you may not or you may get sunshine for the whole two weeks, sorry to be so vague but weather is weather where ever you go and it is the tropics ! Cant answer the wine question as we dont drink it but other reports have been favourable from other resorts, you will have a great time it is a beautiful place to be, i go to vakarufalhi in 4 weeks and cant wait.

regards susie

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

PS Have a look at this web site http://bilder.malediven.net/ you will see loads of pics for different resorts click on the two that you are going to

susie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

Hi,

We stayed in the water villas in July and they were fantastic!

The restaurant is quite upmarket so I would say you need shoes, but nothing formal, just something to wear while dining. Up to you how dressy you want to get.

The tipping is at your discretion, and in the guide book you have in the water villa it actually says tipping is completely up to the guest, but the real pleasure is to serve so they don't expect a tip. Make of that what you will!

Not sure about the rain as we went in July.

The white wine is very drinkable, it's the same as what you would get here as it's all imported. You can order by glass or by bottle and choose from the extensive wine list. The Water Villa Restaurant has it's own walk in wine cellar and sommelier who knows his wine so that will be the least of your worries!

Hope this helps.

suffolk, england
Level Contributor
36 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

Im going to Meed middle of November. I have also been asking lots of questions and believe me yours are not daft or stupid.

I asked about shoes. I was told definatly flats, flip flops are best. Heels will just be sooooooooo not comfy.

Pictures I've seen of the island show that it's sand everywhere, a bit of decking but obviously heels go down the gaps!!

The hunting i've done about the weather seems to give me the impression of very hot and sunny, but the occasional rain shower, but I have been told that these are very heavy but over very quickly, and sometimes are actually a relief!!

Even if it's cloudy you can still burn very quickly - you have been warned!

As for the other 2 questions, I don't know, I'm going to keep on eye on what other people reply to you!!

Enjoy your trip

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

thanks to you all for your response. I've now decided to ditch shoes and just take 2 pairs of flats (oh the relief...) and have also decided I dont care if it rains - I just can't wait to get there......we are on HB basis on both Full Moon and Meed Water Village - are the drinks expensive to those who have been? need to prepare the bf who is still recovering from booking and paying for the holiday !!!

Also did anyone fly Qatar? are they better than uk charter airlines in terms of leg room etc? as we have 5 hours stop over in Qatar i am booking into their lounge - has anyone stayed here?

thanks everyone.......

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

Hi Hutch,

Glad to hear you have decided to ditch the shoes - you may find you dont even end up wearing those. You will however, have a laugh at the Italians that insist on tottering around with the heels and sparkly evening dresses on!

Enjoy.

Regards, Lisa.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
338 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

Hi Hutchy,

The drinks are not extortionate at the Water Villas. Cocktails are from $5 and up (not more than $10 I don't think), wine is reasonably priced from around $25 per bottle and up, depends what you are prepared to pay. The champagne is between $40 and $200, depends on what you want. You do get a bottle of Veuve Cliquot in your room on arrival, and you can drink this whenever in your room, or take it to dinner with you.

The Half Board is great as well because you can have breakfast at whatever time of the day. We usually had breakfast around 11am and it was so filling you didn't need lunch so less cost involved if you go that route. The breakfast menu is about 6 pages long and has everything you can think of including the most delicious juices and yoghurts I've ever had, I think they are home made. You can have every item on the menu if you wish, and can sit there are long as you like.

The restaurant is great as they make eating into a proper experience, not just about eating and leaving. Our dinners took between 3 and 4 hours, and not once did we feel we were rushed or the staff wanted us to leave. It was just fantastic.

Dinner is also an amazing experience, 9 courses!! (see my review of the Water Villas for more info - I could go on forever!)

Any more q's about the Water Villas and I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Hope this helps.

8. Re: Full Moon & Meedhuparru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 27, 2009