We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marlin/sailfish etc

London
10 posts
Save Topic
Marlin/sailfish etc

Hi guys

Just wanted to know how many of you have been game fishing in the maldives and what your experiences were?

Did you catch or see any Marlin or other billfish species?

Did you try for shark and were you successful?

What were your impressions of the boat/skipper/equipment etc?

I have been once before (off Kuramanthi) and caught 3 wahoo, 3 dorado (dolphinfish) and a tiny tuna in an afternoon session. I get the impression that was quite good for a short single charter.

FYI I went fishing in kenya and did two short sessions which yielded about 6 dorado and a small sailfish (and I lost something enormous-never saw it but fought it for about 25 mins and when it came off the crew were absolutely apopletic!).

I am going to summer island in december and will do at least two charters then (dependent on the price/quality of the boat etc).

All comments would be appreciated.

Rocketeer

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,727 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marlin/sailfish etc

Have been game fishing on Vilu Reef July just gone - caught 5 baby tunas. Previous trippers caught wahoo. The baby tunas were quite big mind! Boat and skipper were fine and very helpful. As usual, all the fishes were caught before 10am; after that it was pretty hopeless due to the heat. Beat way is to ask for advice on the weather and go when they know the sun will not shine/or be as hot.

Sailfish - the only time I saw sailfish when diving whilst staying at Vakarufalhi.

.............. activegirl

2. Re: Marlin/sailfish etc

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 19, 2009