We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Price Paridise ?

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
598 posts
114 reviews
Save Topic
What Price Paridise ?

Just about everyone on this site loves the Maldives and I am no exception. Having been to the Hilton three times in 15 months I have becom besotted with the beauty of the atolls and the charm of the Maldivian people.

But I see a sad turn of events begining to take place which can be observed by just looking at how the prices have grown over the past post Tsunami period. To me it is reaching a point where the islands are begining to price themselves out of the market. It is a terrible shame and, in my view, a flawed strategy as people will eventually say 'enough' and start looking elsewhere. Hell, it is reaching the point where Bora Bora may become a cheaper option.

Well not quite maybe but The Seychelles and Zanzibar to name just two are becoming viable alternatives.

I guess the market will find it's level but, as far as I am concerned, until it does I am looking elsewher. Sad but true.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Price Paridise ?

I couldn't agree more Craven - I wanted to go to Bora Bora, and get married there, long before I had heard of the Maldives but it was always a pipe dream. Now it's getting to be the other way round. Unfortunately in the meantime I had been, and fallen in love with, the Maldives and don't actually WANT to give up and go somewhere else. However I HAVE been looking at other places, for the first time in over 20 years, because the Maldives is not what it was, and it is no longer affordable for 2 week holidays, hence the brochures now have 7 nights in the price panel so as not to frighten the punters off before they've read the descriptions. I wouldn't go for a week as you always lose a week's worth of the chilled-out feeling on the journey home - if I only went for a week I wouldn't feel I'd had a holiday by the time I got back so I might as well have saved the money.

I know people will say there are cheaper islands to go to but I don't want an island with 400 rooms that attracts families with its kiddy creches, pools and amusements. I want what there used to be in abundance - small, reasonably-priced islands where people like us would go to relax and snorkel and get away from the trappings of modern life and the 20th century, let alone the 21st! No news, no shoes was the way they marketed the islands - now I read threads where people ask if there's an ironing board in the room, what satellite channels you can get and even one woman who was pleased that the paths were hard SO THAT SHE COULD WEAR HER HEELS! That is SO not what the Maldives were about. It all costs money so the prices went up and we don't go anymore. I wonder how long before someone decides to open a "retro" island and gives thousands of us what we loved. I'll keep hoping.

Meanwhile, the W apparently opened yesterday ...

…businesswire.com/portal/…

What a waste of such a beautiful place.

:-(

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Price Paridise ?

Hi Both,

Just laughed about the lady with the heels - I remember reading that and feeling very sad for what she is missing out on - part of the enjoyment of going to the Maldives (for me anyhow) is removing my footwear the second I step of the seaplane, and not putting them back on till I go home (always a very sad event).

The more I read and think about these poncy new resorts, the more I am appreciateing what the BanyanTree group seem to stand for in that little part of the world - no water villas in any of the resorts, simple albeit semi luxury accommodation, good food, and good service. Even with the development opportunity that lay before them with Velavaru, they seem to have retained most of the simple island charm - the villa roofs are still thatched, the privacy screens arent too obtrusive (you can still walk the beachfront unlike that dreadful Nika island where all the rooms have mini private beaches separated by groynes, and you are forbidden to walk along someones 'elses' beach!), one restaurant and one bar.

A retro resort - thats where my money's going if I get the big win on our lottery! Nakatcha - you can design it!

Lisa.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Price Paridise ?

Cheers Lisa! If only I had the chance. Oh to be Bill Gates (only more attractive!). I'd get all the people on this forum who felt the same as us and give them a free month on my retro island. I'm sure we'd all get along as we wouldn't be there to show off designer clothes and Jimmy Choos, or worried if our hair was out of place or we had a crease in our t-shirt. We'd be there to chill out in our bare feet, content to eat and drink simply but well and stay in a clean comfortable room without butlers unpacking our stuff and fussing over us. We'd talk to the staff and each other in the bar about our day and the fish we'd seen, not sit in our private palaces, (or lay on our day beds) watching TV/DVD. And we'd be able to do it several times a year because it woudn't cost the earth. Absolute bliss.

Anyone know of a billionnaire wanting to rid himself of his fortune? I could put it to good use.

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Price Paridise ?

Somehow I get the impression that Bill Gates and Warren Buffett think there are more pressing concerns on the planet to spend their billions on than the "quality" of our Maldives vacations.

I remember when the tsunami happened it seemed like any mention of the Maldives in the American media labeled it as a resort location for "millionaires". Suddenly I had friends and relatives in America who knew that I went there quite often paying a lot more attention to me (smiles). Well it seems that some in the Maldives have been reading their own press clippings.

The problem with the proliferation of 5* resorts is not that they bring a certain type of "luxury" to the Maldives that we might not happen to agree with. The problem is simply that a rising tide ultimately raises all boats. I haven't seen the catalogs but I understand that the Hilton for example is substantially raising their prices for 2007. If the 5*'s raise their prices then how long will it be before the 4's and the 3's follow suit?

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,371 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What Price Paridise ?

Precisely. I don't care personally if the Hilton ups its prices as I'll not be going there - but I DO care that all the others will too. And what doesn't help is places suddenly deciding 5* isn't good enough to elevate them from the others and they start calling themselves 8* as I think I saw one the other day. Then everyone else says well if they're 8* then we're at least 7* and so all of a sudden a guest house on Male is 5* and able to charge $3k a week! It's ludicrous.

6. Re: What Price Paridise ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:19 pm, August 16, 2009