We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Veligandu or Meeru

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Veligandu or Meeru

My fiance and I are trying to decide between Meeru Island in a Jacuzzi Water Villa or Veligandu Island in a Beach Villa (not Jacuzzi Beach Villa, just the standard Beach Villa). Basically we can't decide if we choose based on the better room or the better island. Any advice would be much appreciated!

If anyone has stayed or seen the beach villa at Veligandu we would also like to hear what you thought.. We are struggling to find any reviews/comments/photos of the Beach Villas as it seems most people stay in the Jacuzzi Beach Villas or Jacuzzi Water Villas.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Meeru Island Resort & Spa
6,771 Reviews
Meerufenfushi
Veligandu Island Resort & Spa
Veligandu Island Resort...
2,931 Reviews
Veligandu
Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

ive only walked around Veligandu and flown over it a number of times at low level but based on my researc h there is no comparison between Veligandu and Meeru. Veligandu is a clear notch above Meeru in all respects. Number one rule in the Maldives is always always always go for the better island rather than the better room in a lower level island. Its like paying for a super dooper room in a pretty average /poor island as opposed to a quite nice room in an excellent island. Its always the wrong decision IMHO especially when they cost the same. Cos once you leave ur front door of your villa, everything else is substandard in your mediicre island. As nice as Veligandu is, it wouldnt be one i would choose as I believe there are better options for your money

Mentioned in this post
2,931 Reviews
Veligandu
6,771 Reviews
Meerufenfushi
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

Thanks for the advice! In that case, what other islands would you recommend for approximately the same price? (Looking at approximately $600 US a night full board).

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

A bit more on the type of islands would suit you would be helpul; things such as is snorkelling/diving a priority? (veligandu has a mediocre reef but first timers would probably be more than happy). small/large island, seaplane or speedboat etc. Are you looking for any particular activities or dining options. Or are any of the above not really important?

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

A good reef would be a bonus.. I have seen some amazing reefs in Fiji/Great Barrier Reef so I might be quite fussy with the snorkelling but at the end of the day it probably doesn't matter that much. We also don't want a tiny island that we would get bored on after a week.. Other than that, happy with anything.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,924 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

you will not get bored after a week , no matter how small the island but have a look at kuramathi

South West
Level Contributor
141 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

The standard beach villas are lovely, and still have a jacuzzi. They are on the same beach as most of the jacuzzi beach villa with the only reall difference being that the view to the horizon is blocked by some water villas. To my mind they represent great value for money. There are only 5 standard villas being numbers 203-207 with the higher numbers probably offering a little more privacy from the beach if that's what you're after. Happy to answer any questions you have.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
285 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

I only go AI but islands that do FB that I would consider would be Komandoo, angsana Ihuru , kuramathi

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,218 Reviews
Komandoo
Angsana Ihuru
Angsana Ihuru
1,519 Reviews
Ihuru Island
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will look into Komandoo, Angsana Ihuru and Kuramathi also.

Rydal, thanks for the information on the beach villas. Sounds like they are a very good option for Veligandu.

Mentioned in this post
2,218 Reviews
Komandoo
Angsana Ihuru
Angsana Ihuru
1,519 Reviews
Ihuru Island
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,229 Reviews
Kuramathi
2,931 Reviews
Veligandu
Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
9,277 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

Been to both. There is no reef snorkelling from the beach at Meeru - you have to go by boat. Veligandu is a nice island and you can snorkel from the beach...but you can find better options if house reef snorkelling is an important factor for you.

Out of Paul's suggestions (been to Komandoo and Kuramathi) I'd also suggest checking out komandoo. I have more info if you want it.

Mentioned in this post
6,771 Reviews
Meerufenfushi
2,931 Reviews
Veligandu
2,218 Reviews
Komandoo
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,229 Reviews
Kuramathi
Sydney, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Veligandu or Meeru

Thanks for the replies!

What would the benefits of Komandoo over Kuramathi or Veligandu?

Also, is all inclusive really worth it?

Mentioned in this post
2,218 Reviews
Komandoo
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,229 Reviews
Kuramathi