We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm back from Vilu Reef

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I'm back from Vilu Reef

Returned from Vilu Reef early this morning.

I will post a review with pics in due course but in short:

1) Rained just twice - once for 30 mins in the day and the 2nd during the night. Perfect for "rainy season". Sunny every day with no overcast days.

2) Resort is well maintained, loads to do with trips and entertainment.

3) Water bungalows (18 months old) rooms are nice, Beach bungalows shaped in nautilus shell (round).

4) Only downside is the Island has a large ratio of people on the beach and restaurant due to the large volume of water bungalows.

Any one wants info on Vilu Reef, fire away!

I'll send out more snippets of info when I am more wide awake and "with it!"

................... activegirl

Manchester, Uk.
Level Contributor
747 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Hiya C,

Glad you had a great time, (sounds like you were busy in the water, thanks for the snorkelling tips, appreciate that), cant wait for the review and pics.

Lisa.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Welcome back ...

Looking forward to your review

Dos cerveza, por...
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Welcome back active...........

Sounds like you had a great time...............Monarch excepted of course...........

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Welcome back Active, did you like it as much as vakaru ?

regards susie

Montgomery, Wales
Level Contributor
604 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Ditto, welcome back active..

Interersted to see your review. We were on Velavaru back in Jan. and visited Vilu. Do they still have the armed guards at the end of the jetty - found that a bit strange. The vegetation on the island looked great, but I think my overall impression was that it was a bit cheek by jowl, and that the water bungalows, particularly from the sea, looked more like stilt city. However the place looked well run and the spa 100% moew elegant than that on Velavaru. It will be interesting to hear how LisaILove The Maldives, finds the island in November, Velavaru that is, and how much more it all costs?! Anyway, sure you had a great time - next stop Komandoo in Feb? We are there mid Jan for 2 weeks but will miss you by a few hours changeover.....Tiggy.

Mentioned in this post
Komandoo Maldives Island Resort
Komandoo Maldives Island...
2,218 Reviews
Komandoo
Channel Islands
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Welcome back Active

I had the same impression about the number of water bungalows and wondered myself if it would make the beach feel more crowded.

Took your advice in the end and looks like i am booking Komandoo for next year instead of Fili (though fingers crossed i could always make Fili my next trip!!)

Look forward to the review - try not to make it too glowing, don't want to feel like i made a mistake in ruling Vilu out!!!

Tadike

Mentioned in this post
2,218 Reviews
Komandoo
U.K.
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Nice to have you back active............hope all went well!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,732 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Bernese .... Personally, def liked Vakaru better, quieter, more natural, less busy, not quite so samey food everyday!

Tadike ..... It all depends what you are after from your holiday. I found Vilu quite busy although it was not fully capacity and the WV did look like Stilt City (in a nice way) as Tiggy puts it. Although the WV are really nice, I felt it was too many for the size of the island and therefore doubled the size of guests in the restaurant although the waiters gave a brill service. I think Komandoo would be more romantic but I will find out for myself in Feb. Be warned if you want a WV book 12 months in advance! Vilu Reef would be idea for those in a AI package who wants entertainment each night.

Tiggy ..... Yes they had security guards on the jetty although they were not armed! They also had a guard on the snorkelling side at night and this was to ensure no one from the inhabited island (which is not far away) entered Vilu at night and enter guests beach rooms so it was nice to have that reassurance although it was a bit daunting when you first see them until you know the reason why.

Rex..... Monarch ... well cr.........even in premium!

The others ... I'm trying to get my review together but nice to be back!

........ activegirl

Mentioned in this post
2,218 Reviews
Komandoo
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,547 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Welcome Home, Active.....Sounds like you had a great time!!

Catch up with you on the 19th???

You'll be the one with the tan, and i'll have my shorts on!!!! LOL

Rousey

Channel Islands
Level Contributor
86 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: I'm back from Vilu Reef

Thanks Active

Booked it - Komandoo water villas, so will be eagerly awaiting the review in Feb!!

Tadike