We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

back from Vakaru

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
back from Vakaru

Hi all you folks who had questions about Vakaru. I've now been twice and both times in July. Flew First Choice, absolutely no complaints, timings good, no delays. Paid £60 each return for legroom seats which were great. This year as last, perfect weather, no rain at all. One unbelievably beautiful sunset. Rooms had been upgraded since last year. Food fantasticly varied and excellent quality. Island as peaceful as you could want. One negative though is that the erosion on one part of island has worsened and outside some of the rooms (143-5) there are very ugly sandbags and pipes trying to return sand from lagoon to beach. The staff are very good at trying to satisfy guests requests for particular rooms if you know which side of island you want to be. Happy to answer any questions.

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: back from Vakaru

Active, - Vakaru was over-full this time, people being offered 5* WV's on Mirihi to vacate rooms for the new Monarch arrivals , but still no 'little bar' activity. You couldn't possibly have wanted to sit round there this time, nowhere to sit in peace or comfort. There is a big pipe bringing sand back on to the area around the sand bags, very ugly. If this was a honeymoon trip for instance and you were put in the rooms round there you'd have been really upset. Couldn't have taken photos on sunbeds or of your beach area etc. Staff were confident they are getting it sorted though. Apparently this is the first time that the island has had 50/50 English guests. Quite a different atmosphere this year. Nevertheless, still wonderful island.

I kept checking the weather sites before I left and saw rain, rain, rain around Male but what a fantastic week we had. I see you've only ever been in July but do you know if the other season offers a relief from the humidity, which was extreme this time? And the mozzies, wow, they do need to do something more effective. Not sure about next year. Hoping to go to Grenada.

S.

London
11 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: back from Vakaru

Hi Snorkellbabe

Welcome back!

Could you tell me how the beach like in the east side of the island?

We were thinking about requesting the room 112 which looks isolated in a good way on the map.

I understand that Vakaru is a small island but how long it takes to walk around the island? For instance, if we did not get up until 9:45am, can we still make it to the breakfast? I don't know until what time they serve breakfast in Vakaru but I always find it difficult to get my husband up and ready in time.

Yesterday, we bought brand new snorkeling gears and are well excited trying out in March. Still 7 months to go.....

Sussex, UK
Level Contributor
268 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: back from Vakaru

Hi Cocolady - room 112 or any at that end have the best bit of beach in my opinion. Lots of sand, plenty of privacy, only would take 3 or 4 mins if that, to get to the restaurant from there. Sorry to spoil your slumbers but breakfast is 7.30 - 9.30. But if you turn up at 9.20 they wouldn't rush you out at all.

Whole island at a slow pace only takes about 15mins. I'm jealous again already.

S.

London
11 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: back from Vakaru

Thank you very much for your reply, Snokellbabe.

We will request a room around east so that the rising Sun would wake us up and we won't be late for breakfast. What a good idea!

Thank you again, Snorkellbabe!

15. Re: back from Vakaru

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, August 15, 2009