We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dhiggiri

10 posts
Save Topic
dhiggiri

We are booked to go to Dhiggiri in October nad are concerned to read some of the posts re 'shared tables' and the fact you cant get bottlesof water to take to the beach - only 'small plastic cups' from the bar. We know this is not a five star island but we are concerned about the negative comments. Also whats the food like- i read mentions of 'set meals'- am i to assume that if you dont like the set meal you go hungry?

Please can someone provide some feedback

Cheers !

Suthampton, UK
Level Contributor
225 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dhiggiri

Hi there, we were in Dhiggiri in January and absolutely loved it. Yes you're right if you want bottled water, then you have to pay for it, but we had a couple of bottles that we'd brought with us for the plane journey, and just asked them to fill them up for us which wasn't a problem. Food - breakfast was a buffet, of pastries, cakes, cereal, or omlette which the chef cooked for you there and then. Lunch was a really good buffet selection of salads, pasta, curries, quiche fish etc. dinner was a bit more restrictive - set starter, and choice of two courses, either fish or meat, plus a selection of puddings. The Maldivian night was fantastic. We didn't think the food was bad at all. The island, staff snorkelling, diving more than made up for it. Ref shared tables, we did share a table, which we didn't mind, because it made it quite a social holiday - but if you want your own table, just ask I'm sure it won't be a problem. There were other couples on their own.

England
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dhiggiri

Hi,

We went to Dhiggiri in April and stayed in a "water bungalow". Water bungalows 1-5 are in the water, the remaining ones are on the shore!

We had the mis-fortune of being close to the Islands workshop and generator, and was dissapointed with the constant noise. Also on one day they decided to re-varnish the next door bungalow and the smell was terrible!

Putting that to one side, the food was OK, it was nice to sit with others for dinner and the staff were fantastic. The house reef is great and they take you out to excellent dive sites.

The local Maldivian Dive Master (Ali Rasheed) is a wonderful man with great knowledge of the surrounding water & marine life.

We were very disappointed with the constant noise (didn't expect to be in a building site in the middle of the Indian Ocean), but none the less loved the holiday - the staff made the difference.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,398 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dhiggiri

it's true about the plastic cups .. the food .. well.. the good news is that you are in little danger of gaining weight , like on some islands , but you are not going to starve either. usually you can fill up on pasta and sauce or the occasional curry. the set meals are pretty awful , but you won't go hungry. you do share a table but with the help of an adequate tip , there is a good chance that a small table for two can materialize. like you say .. it's a budget island and they don't usually come with hilton food. but for the price , dhiggiri is perfectly nice.

like someone already said .. the staff is fantastic , divemaster ali is truly a pearl and the island itself is gorgeous. you are certain to enjoy your stay , as long as you don't expect a fine dining experience every night , you have nothing to worry about at all .

United States
Level Contributor
1,425 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dhiggiri

diorbabe,

I would echo the sentiments of the other posters about Dhiggiri. We have stayed in the beach bungalows (personally I don't really think the water bungalows are special enough to justify the extra money) I would suggest bunglow 46 and 45 (if I remember correctly) as they have outdoor showers and are close enough to the bar to make for easy drink runs. The outdoor showers are a real pleasure as they offer a nice view of the trees around the bungalows and don't suffer from the mildew of indoor baths.

I would also add my endorsement of the comments about the staff in general and Divemaster Ali in particular. Dhiggiri is not located in an area where the best dive sites in the Maldives are easily available but Ali makes the available diving experience a memorable one.

Windsor
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: dhiggiri

Hi

My wife and I got back from Dhiggiri on 8th August where we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary. We had water villa 2 and this as previously mentioned was near to the workshop. We also had constant noise that interrupted our use of the decking area at the villa which was one of the reasons we paid the extra so to have peace and quiet to enjoy the surroundings and celebrate our anniversary in style. We went to the beach most days to get away from the noise which did stop one day when the Maldivian Tourist Board were visiting, but it soon started again once they had left. The villa next door was being varnished and the smell was awful, it gets into the rooms via the air con unit and we were disturbed one afternoon by four of the staff climbing up ladders to replace the palm leaf roofing on our villa whilst we used the decking. The food is ok with lots of variety and the bar drinks are good although you could only buy red wine by the bottle and could not get it by the glass, we shared a table with a couple on honeymoon which was really nice. The island is fantastic and the diving great, the friendly staff make you feel very welcome although the Italian manager did not help us when we complained about the noise of work being caried out only to say that maintenance was necessary. We will go back to the Maldives but to a different island but unfortunetly you only get one Silver anniversary !

6. Re: dhiggiri

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:20 am, August 16, 2009