We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athuruga 2013

Skeggy in UK
Level Contributor
461 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Athuruga 2013

We're sitting here in Skeggy, in almost tropical conditions for this time of year, in total disbelief that barring any unforeseen circumstances, this time next week we should be catching up on a few Z's after travelling, quick snorkel to say "hi" to my fishy friends, a beer or two and lunch ! Just got to make it through another week in the trenches and try (emphasis on "try") to avoid sinking into that winding down state of bliss ! Will be doing a TA blog for anyone that's interested and will try to keep it light hearted. I suppose the danger is that starting out with best intentions, I could get sidelined by the Maldives, ie got to snorkel/dive again because this time we will see "x", oh go on then, let's have another drink before we go back to the villa, yes but it's nearly meal time again etc !

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Athuruga 2013

Ooohh jf sounding good. How long will you be in paradise?

I saw a turtle or eagle ray every day when last there, fab

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Athuruga 2013

Fantastic start ... thank you for posting!

Glad you met up with other TA members and we also enjoyed that aspect of our recent Maldives holidays.

Skeggy in UK
Level Contributor
461 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Athuruga 2013

To quote Jackie Gleeson song "wait a minute, it's stopped raining...Guys are swimming, guys are sailing " ! Yes, it's been bit like that I'm afraid, we've caught the tail end of the Monsoon that devastated India last week and his given us several "white outs", of which the worst was just before lunch, when quite literally, we could barely see the dhonis in the lagoon from our WV and only just make out the island ! Being stoically British, of course we laugh at a bit of rain but it's a bit of a b****er when it's too wet and windy to sit at the bar before lunch for drinkies ! Last night similar and poor Ram and his team must have outnumbered the post dinner drinkers.

Hasn't of course hampered the snorkelling and diving, going to get wet anyway and in the main, the reefs appear healthy and well populated but echo OnOn's observation in that I haven't yet seen any sharks around the island, not even pups in the shallows. Hope it's nothing to do with growth in visitor numbers from a certain nation !

Anyway, for anyone considering Athy as a destination, it's as perfect as last time we stayed (2012), and to date the food in the WV restaurant has been excellent, with good choice. Farouk, our waiter is a diamond and we have now been promoted to an outer table (have to wait til leavers go, bit of a sort of queuing system for these), so even better. Just as good is the weekly supply boat has been today, despite the weather, and Ram has promised me first dibs on one of his famed Mojitos tomorrow, which he will never make without fresh mint leaves. I can still remember my first one two years ago and they're consistently brilliant. Amazing what a Mojito can taste like when the HMRC aren't pocketing 70% of the take from your glass !

In three visits haven't yet dived Athuruga itself, until last night did a night dive and what a spectacular island it is indeed, beauty to behold !

Skeggy in UK
Level Contributor
461 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Athuruga 2013

To quote Jackie Gleeson song "wait a minute, it's stopped raining...Guys are swimming, guys are sailing " ! Yes, it's been bit like that I'm afraid, we've caught the tail end of the Monsoon that devastated India last week and his given us several "white outs", of which the worst was just before lunch, when quite literally, we could barely see the dhonis in the lagoon from our WV and only just make out the island ! Being stoically British, of course we laugh at a bit of rain but it's a bit of a b****er when it's too wet and windy to sit at the bar before lunch for drinkies ! Last night similar and poor Ram and his team must have outnumbered the post dinner drinkers.

Hasn't of course hampered the snorkelling and diving, going to get wet anyway and in the main, the reefs appear healthy and well populated but echo OnOn's observation in that I haven't yet seen any sharks around the island, not even pups in the shallows. Hope it's nothing to do with growth in visitor numbers from a certain nation !

Anyway, for anyone considering Athy as a destination, it's as perfect as last time we stayed (2012), and to date the food in the WV restaurant has been excellent, with good choice. Farouk, our waiter is a diamond and we have now been promoted to an outer table (have to wait til leavers go, bit of a sort of queuing system for these), so even better. Just as good is the weekly supply boat has been today, despite the weather, and Ram has promised me first dibs on one of his famed Mojitos tomorrow, which he will never make without fresh mint leaves. I can still remember my first one two years ago and they're consistently brilliant. Amazing what a Mojito can taste like when the HMRC aren't pocketing 70% of the take from your glass !

In three visits haven't yet dived Athuruga itself, until last night did a night dive and what a spectacular island it is indeed, beauty to behold !

By the way Patchesmum, we had two bloody great live a boards steam through the island surrounds today - were you on either ? Couldn't wave as tucking into lunch !

In short, being British, sod the weather, having great time and now the sun is out again, so I'm off, cheers !

25. Re: Athuruga 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:53 am, October 16, 2013
Skeggy in UK
Level Contributor
461 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Athuruga 2013

Sorry Patchesmum, forgot to add in answer to your question, here for 2 weeks, leaving on 27th. Few more posts to come yet then but how good they are depends on a) how much fresh mint Ram has and b) how many Mojoitos I can get til he runs out. Probably best to wait until Friday at earliest and stick to morning dives !

Manchester
Level Contributor
976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Athuruga 2013

Sounds wonderful Jolly. And good to hear favourable reports on the WV restaurant food after the spell of not-so-great reviews.

Enjoy the mojitos, looking forward to the next installment.

Level Contributor
1,608 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Athuruga 2013

Ahhh bliss jf. No, I havnt set sail yet, fly Subday & board Monday. Had email when booked saying I was doing northern cruise but having looked at YP Facebook page gave discovered doing Southern cruise so not entirely sure where I am going but it matters not, will read up later and see.

I depart Male 27th too so if you see a fraught middle aged blond with a granny and sulky teenager in tow that will be me.

Continue to post to get me in the mood!

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,164 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Athuruga 2013

Sounds great! Raining here too but cold, so no comparison.

Continue the posts please :)

Norway
Level Contributor
819 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: Athuruga 2013

Too bad about the bad weather... However, here in Norway we have 5 degrees Celsius and rain rain rain... I know where I'd rather be :))