We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Google Reefs

London
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Google Reefs

This Google Streets virtual tour of reefs would allow people to get a first hand perspective on the perennial question of what is the house reef like - nbcnews.com/science/dive-great-barrier-reef-… Waiting for the first resort to go ahead and just do one of these virtual tours. Many resort websites have virtual tours of the restaurants and rooms, but the house reef is the main event.

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Google Reefs

Link doesn't work Bruce :O(

London
Level Contributor
885 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Google Reefs

I agree that the house reef is a main event. Esp for many of us.

However how many resort managers care about the quality of their reef? - if they don't have the reef as the selling point then they might as well just not to do so...( I am not sure if all resort managers know their rivals that well as quite often their contract is not particular longterm?)I personally found there is manager who can't care less about their reef but the over water activities. ( it makes sense to the resort as snorkeling gears are freeh and not as profitable as the parasailings/ jet ski / underwater scooter etc.)

Is there any way to find out the percentile of visitors going to a resort with only a ' below average house reef' realise they can possibly get something 'better' and actually return to a resort with ' better reef' ? No idea as if all people want to get the best reef out of their budget the other resorts will be very empty ? ( it's actually not a bad thing that not all have a clue what is a house reef, at least for the first time visitors, so that we can still have a chance to book what we want to return for lol.) -- having day that , it just , in my opinion , explains why some resorts are keen on giving all other information but not too fuss about their reef.

Ihuru's dive team ( I think it's the dive team) posted snorkeling / diving vedios on YouTube every now and then. It's helpful for thise who are keen on shore snorkeling.

Does it mean people will all flood to Mirihi after resorts post their under water? -- I appreciate some people might even want a purely sandy floor lagoon to have a good swim too, either way ( with or without a reef) the virtual tour of underwater will contribute to the cater decisions better.

Are the resorts willing to do so...??

Edited: 3:45 pm, August 21, 2013
London
Level Contributor
1,762 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Google Reefs

Here it is - nbcnews.com/science/dive-great-barrier-reef-… .

(I forgot that you can't put a full stop at the end or else TA picks it up in the link).

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Google Reefs

We're working on something similar at Conrad Maldives, Bruce. Photos and videos already online and we're hoping to have a 360-degree tour of our house reef and the 'mini-reef' between the islands next year.

Not sure how to be part of the google project though. It looks amazing.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Google Reefs

IMHO, the majority of people who go to the Maldives have no idea what a house reef is. (especially now that the majority of visitors are from china and russia with many chinese unable to swim). We see it in the forum all the time. people think that a gorgeous sandy lagoon = fantastic snorkelling of the undersea world. Then people come back from islands without reefs, come on here and say the snorkelling was brilliant when they notice experts saying there is no snorkelling. So first timers will go into their high st TA, be given a choice of 10 islands (most without reefs) and pick the most gorgeous looking one and get all carried away. Then they do a bit of research, come on here and discover that maybe a house reef is a bit important if they want to see the real crown jewels of the maldives..

Whilst their is nothing intrinsically wrong with an island without a house reef (after all, some of the very high end islands have no reef), it is evident to me that many first timers will end up in islands without one. Once bitten by the bug, the next time they will do more research, come on here, ask questions and the next time try to go and see what this house reef malarkey is all about.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
575 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Google Reefs

For some people, good snorkeling = watching some fishes at a coral garden close to the beach or just right next to their water villa, or some corals inside a sandy lagoon which they could stand on the sand without water covering their head. They are hesitate to swim to the reef drop off, because it is deep, dark and too far from the shore.

South Wales
Level Contributor
313 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Google Reefs

I think the Maldives is the ' honeymoon location' of the world in recent years. Indeed it totally qualifies as a wonderfully romantic location. However a lot of the honeymooners don't seem that interested in seeing the wonderful underwater scenery. It's entirely their prerogative but how many times have you seen people spending their days lounging around the pool and not venturing into the sea at all. They simply see the Maldives as the statement luxury location for a honeymoon and the islands without a reef will continue to be popular for this reason.

Mind you, there are many people who visit without considering snorkelling, take advantage of the free equipment available and become totally hooked. That's exactly what happened to my husband and I 11 years ago! My hubbie went on to learn to dive as he loved it so much. I expect this happens a lot too.

8. Re: Google Reefs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, August 28, 2014