We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives and Climate Change

Denver, Colorado...
13 posts
Save Topic
Maldives and Climate Change

Hey guys. I'm very interested in talking to people who have been to the Maldives. I write blogs about the more treacherous spots on the globe for company websites. I wrote something about how climate change is effecting the Maldives. Did you see any evidence of it? Did the government ask you for donations via the "tourism tax"? I'm very interested in what it is like over there. Any info would be useful.

Thanks a bunch,

Ian

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,917 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Interesting article about ice in Antartica explaining that change in the winds is increasing sea ice, but that the ice sheet is reducing:

nasa.gov/topics/…earth20121112.html

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,918 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

the op should go and see for himself . writing a blog about something one obviously knows nothing about appears to be more than disingenuous. its , with all due respect , laughable and somehow a bit sad.

too far away to travel ? i don't think so . i live in divide, colorado.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
1,133 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

In terms of tax, as far as I understand it, the Maldivians do not pay tax but the tourists do in the form of a compulsory bed tax per night's stay. I believe this money is put on a pot for the citizens eventual relocation if the country (as one of the lowest lying in the world) falls beneath the ocean.

Folkestone, United...
Destination Expert
for Southern Ari Atoll, Maldives
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Hi

The bed tax has been in force for a long time and I understand it to be just a general government tax not for any specific purpose, There has to some way of funding the country the relocation bit if it ever happened was to be funded by handouts from the west. We now have other taxes which amount to a kind of VAT recently raised from 5% to 8%

Regards

Doug

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Beanard that is a very good link you posted on post ten, interesting to see when the hottest month was and the wettest, ,longest dry spells etc.

It would be very helpful if that was on a faqs. However as you say, male is not representative of the islands, but can give an indication.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

I understood that we are in the Holocene epoch which is actually in between ice ages, maybe our impact , very recent in geological terms, could offset or effect the next ice age in ways we cannot yet gauge??

Denver, Colorado...
13 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

NASA disagrees with you

Denver, Colorado...
13 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

I would consider a flood to be rather "treacherous." Just because it is not happening now does not mean it never will happen.

Denver, Colorado...
13 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Fair point. I found Mohammed Nasheed to be quite persuasive on this matter. I'd like to think we could help mitigate the effects.

Denver, Colorado...
13 posts
Save Reply
20. Re: Maldives and Climate Change

Not claiming to be an expert. Simply looked into the matter, offered my preliminary thoughts, and am searching for people to have a conversations with. Hostile off the bat? Maybe another trip could relax you some more.