We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baby turtles!!

UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Baby turtles!!

Have a look on Summer Island Village facebook..138 baby turtles just hatched on the island today!!.. They have been keeping an eye on the eggs for a while

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baby turtles!!

Oh wow, they are so adorable and so many of them, good on the resort staff...

UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baby turtles!!

I wonder how long it is till they can be released into the sea?.. I love to look at them but stupid when it comes to the practicalities LOL... Suppose I could google it

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baby turtles!!

Yes I am not sure either,,,but so many of them and so very cute, I am also not sure how far they will travel once released or if many of them will stay close to the island,,,

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Baby turtles!!

They're gorgeous little things - great link.

UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baby turtles!!

Well hopefully they will stay cos im going in september

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,771 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baby turtles!!

Baby turtles naturally go straight for the sea as they hatch. Often is raised in a hatchery staff wait till night to give them the best chance of avoiding preditors. I only know because I've done it.

If they survive they will return to the island (once mature) to nest..........heck of a long time!

I think they should hang around the island waters. Now you've got me desperate to find out if they travel far.

Great for business & turtles.

UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baby turtles!!

We are going here in september... I know theres no reef and only 10% british etc and budget!!! There are 2 free snorkelling trips a day. I have done so much research and I reckon based on reviews this is a great rustic no news no shoes island... I cant wait.. If its crap I will give an honest review...The turtle thing has now excited me!!.... No reef but apparently loads by the jetty

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baby turtles!!

I just googled them they only stay a few days then they head out to see and begin their " lost " years. If they survive, which only one in a thousand do, they come back to coastal areas about a decade later. So i doubt you will see them in sept, sorry,,,,/(

New Romney, United...
Level Contributor
223 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baby turtles!!

They are so sweet, I hope a few end up at reethi beach as they are very elusive there!!

UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baby turtles!!

Thanks froggy its too many proseccos fri nt etc... But anyway cant wait!!!!!!!