We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Hi

My husband and I are looking at travelling to the Maldives in July 2013 from Brisbane Australia, via Singapore, staying for 5 nights at the Maldives.

This will be our first overseas trip, so we are very novice travellers.

I am finding it hard to decide on a resort, and after any recommendations for a "wow" trip to the Maldives. Being novices, I dont think we could really be disappointed, but want to make sure its as good as possible. Our all inclusive budget is $10 000AUD, which from what I gather is pretty achievable, allowing $2000-3000 spending money once we arrive.

My shortlist of resorts are: (in an overwater villa)

* Hilton

* Sheraton

* Anantara Veli

* Anantara Dhigu

* Conrad

* Lux

* Centara Ras Fushi

* Centara Grand (as they have an affordable ultimate all inclusive, but not exactly wow'ed by their resort website)

Its for our 5th wedding anniversary and a second honeymoon type thing as we had a rather simple first. Its a tick of the bucket list, so want it to be special!

Also would you recommend going through a travel agent, or would we get a lot better rates booking directly?

Anxious to get it sorted and book so the countdown can begin!!!

Thanks so much

Amanda

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
11. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Thanks. Getting very close to a decision. I'm sure we won't be disappointed either way....

A travel agent recommended to me by someone on the forum has gotten back to me recommending two completely different resorts! I did offer my picks but said new recommendations were welcome....Constance Moofushi and Kanahura. So back to the research......

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,028 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

rangali is in a different class than the rest .

moofushi is very nice, a step down from rangali .

i would not consider the others with the choices you have

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

Thanks,

And sorry to everyone as I know I am going around in circles. But its so much money I want to be sure I have made the right decision!

I am worried about what the final bill will come to with the Conrad Rangali... Would you recommend going a half board package or just wing it? Keeping in mind we are "simple" eaters... We also go through a lot of water between us so worried about choosing a non all inclusive package resort? How much would you allow to holiday comfortably but not extravagantly for 5 nights at the Conrad? Also is it an inconvenience being on the quiet side of the island in a water villa, away from the main facilities?

Kuramathi seems to have really good reviews as well, nice price with an all inclusive...which I think I could relax more about knowing what we will be up for rather than getting a rude shock at the end... unless we go with a bottomloss pocket and not care! :)

14. Re: New to this!! Advice please - What Resort? July 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 16, 2014