We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Male 8 hour stopover. Will they charge taxes on depart?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Male 8 hour stopover. Will they charge taxes on depart?

Hi! I am flying Emirates from Dubai to Colombo via Male. There is an 8 hour gap between my flights.

I would like to leave the airport and simply walk around the city, have dinner etc.

I heard there is a "departure tax" of 40 usd/person paid at the maldives airport. Is that true? My question is: will I have to pay such a tax if I'm only stoping by for a few hours?

Anyone been in such a situation before?

Warsaw, Poland
Level Contributor
8 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Male 8 hour stopover. Will they charge taxes on depart?

Should anyone be interested in my feedback, there it is:

When we arrived in Male, we lined up at customs. The very nice man/officer working there almost let us through (without asking for hotel resevations), but then he noticed, that we stated (on our tourist entry form) that we are going to stay for one day only.

If we had booked a one night stay in a hotel in Male, he might have let us through. However I don't think that worth the money really...

So we ended up having to spend 8 hours at Male airport... Luckily on the first floor there is some kind of a corridor with windows overlooking the bay. There were also chairs lined up so we slept on them waiting for our plane.

There also was free wi-fi (from time to time ;)

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,067 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Male 8 hour stopover. Will they charge taxes on depart?

They aren't going to ask you for hotel reservations: you have to write in the entry form which hotel you have booked, and you are swearing that what you write there is true, so it's better to say the truth.

Of course, I would never in my life choose a flight with stopovers of 8 hours, no matter how cheap it is: i would just change airline...

Porec, Croatia
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Male 8 hour stopover. Will they charge taxes on depart?

Just want to write about my different experience with transit at Male airport. I had the same ticket, from Dubai to Colombo, with 8 hours layover at Maldives. It was me, and two other passengers in the same position. I really wanted to go out and just see Maldives, because this islands are on the very bottom of my wish list of future travels. I waited in the immigration line with other passengers, the officer asked me where am I going to stay, when he realized I am in transfer he told me to go on another desk.

Then, we had to wait for a little while. They looked at us, and whispered something, it looked like they didn't really know what to do with us. But everybody was really nice and polite. After maybe half an hour, and few more talks, they took our boarding passes which we later collected at the check-in, and went outside to see the beautiful Maldives. I took a ferry to Male, walked around, had lunch, and later just relaxed at the Hulhule island hotel, having a drink by the pool. We didn't pay for any visa, or anything else.

Everything was like I wanted, but I can imagine that if it went differently, if I would have been stuck at the airport for 8 hours, I wouldn't be very happy ;)

Edited: 7:14 am, April 28, 2014
Porec, Croatia
Level Contributor
8 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Male 8 hour stopover. Will they charge taxes on depart?

And just to add, I red this posts before my trip, and knew maybe they will let us go out, and maybe not... I can't say why we were able to go out, and other people not... They don't have the rule, it seemed to me they were just deciding there what to do, I guess I was just lucky!

35. Re: Male 8 hour stopover. Will they charge taxes on depart?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, April 30, 2015