We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May to Sept - when would you go???

Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
May to Sept - when would you go???

Hi all,

I'm getting conflicting advice from travel agents so hoping you can help me.

I'm looking to do a Sri Lanka tour followed by 6 nights in the Maldives - I know you can't guarentee anything but as we are only there for a short time I want to have ticked all the boxes I can to be in with a good chance of some sun in the Maldives.

We can go anytime between end of may and mid sept and are looking at Staying on the Kuramathi island.

Any advice would be greatfully received.

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May to Sept - when would you go???

Hi rabbit,

as you are combining sri lanka with maldives, do you know if there are any special occasions/festivals happening in sri lanka during the period you are looking at? you might want to include these in your tour, that would narrow dates down,

you are planning on going when it would be rainy season in the maldives but you will always have some sun,.

another factor to take into account is that there will be more children during school holidays, so if you wanted to try to avoid spending your paradise with more than the average no of children avoid july and august.

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May to Sept - when would you go???

Rabbit it's pot luck in the so called rainy season . I have been in June and twice in October out of peak season and have only had sniff shower of a cloudy afternoon. It's the main reason for being cheaper than jan-apr

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: May to Sept - when would you go???

Just take a chance and go. It can rain any time in the Maldives. Like the previous reply said its pot luck. I have been 3 times in the so called rainy season and on each occasion it did rain a little but never for days at a time but just the odd shower. We have booked for kuramathi June 2013. Sure you will love it.

Edited: 12:31 pm, December 27, 2012
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May to Sept - when would you go???

Just take a chance and go. It can rain any time in the Maldives. Like the previous reply said its pot luck. I have been 3 times in the so called rainy session and on each occasion it did rain a little but never for days at a time but just the odd shower. We have booked for kuramathi June 2013. Sure you will love it.

Bucharest, Romania
Destination Expert
for Seychelles
Level Contributor
5,803 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May to Sept - when would you go???

I was last year on June and it rained 2 times (one evening and one night) in 11 days and for sure I will come back to Maldives on June in the future. Accomodation was much cheaper than in the high season and sometimes I had the feeling that I am alone on the island.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,224 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: May to Sept - when would you go???

As others have said, consider other factors as you won't be able to second guess the weather. We have been during rainier summer period and always for 2 weeks so that any rainy days wouldn't matter so much. As you're only there for a few days, you cannot spread the risk so choose the months that suit you best for other reasons - or toss a coin!

7. Re: May to Sept - when would you go???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, December 29, 2013