We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maafushivaru or Gangehi

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
maafushivaru or Gangehi

Ok, this is my last thread i promise! I am officially down to two, which are coming to the same price for a water villa. I can NOT decide. HELP ME PLEASE!!! i cant find that much info comparing them anywhere. Anyone been to both?

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

don't rule out Athuruga, that is the best I am afraid, an a slight price difference will be worth it?

Have you seen the sea-walls/defences of Gangehi in the aeiral shot of the island?

UK
Level Contributor
63 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

You don't really notice the sea defences, they are fairly unobtrusive IMO. They didn't bother me when we were there. Don't understand why everyone gets so hung up about them.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,484 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

athuruga lol .. you ruled out the two best islands .. i would gladly take a beach villa on athuruga

between these two , it would have to be maafushivaru.

um.. why do you keep making new threads ?

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

i dont know, i thought i should make a new thread i guess., Sorry! no more I promise!

Athuruga is coming to a thousand pounds more total. It ruled ITSELF out! You would really prefer a beach villa on Athuruga then a water on the other two?! why?

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

ok i am officially driving myself nuts. Why is this so difficult!? I guess i know that this is once in a lifetime. We really doubt we will go again and i have ALWAYS wanted to go there, but I dont want to just throw money away!

Honest opinions, is Athuruga really that much better that its worth an extra 1000 pounds?

Basically, for 6 nights all inclusive I can get Gangehi or Maafushivaru for about 5K. And Athuruga is 6K.

Please someone who has been to these just tell me what to do!!!!!

:-)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

I've not been to any of the resorts you mention, but there aren't many in the 4* bracket I haven't researched to death. I guarantee you will be blown away by any of your choices.

Only you can decide whether you want to pay the extra £1000 for Athuruga.

Ian

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

oh man - i think im struggling because not too long ago we paid a lot of money and planned a lot for a trip to the seychelles and it was a huge disappointment. We really werent THAT impressed. Snorkeling was awful due to murky water because of weather the WHOLE time and we really didnt like the second hotel we went too. FElt like disney land to us! Anyway, now Im terrified of choosing wrong with maldives too!

Europe
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
2,501 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

M, yes, Athuruga is definately worth an extra 1000 Pounds. One thing I say to myself over and over again is that in Maldives -perhaps in this respect different from most destinations- what you pay is what you get.

You rarely feel cheated in the Maldives if you are paying extra for something, even very expensive resorts like W, Madivaru, Kihavah, if you are paying that much, then you are getting your money's worth.

Also true for smaller, much cheaper resorts. In many destinations, paying extra for a hotel doesn't mean that you'll get something better. But my experience in Maldives in the 7 islands I've been to have proven that what you pay is what you get.

And water villas of Athuruga are fantastic, I would choose to go one day less, if you want to save the extra 1000, but still choose Athuruga. The experience will be different, trust me. This is not to say that you won't enjoy and love the others, you will love every one of your options, but you'll love Athuruga more.

Edited: 2:48 pm, December 03, 2012
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

In that case, read lots of the reviews for the islands within your budgets that have availability and go with the one that feels right for your preference - ie if people complain about the lack of entertainment but you're looking to chill and spend the evenings over a quiet dinner then that's a plus for you etc.

If you're going with the preferences of a handful of people at the forum they may not necessaryli be your preferences - eg we've been to a few islands and my husband actually likes resorts with sea defences (not talking about ugly cement structures) but as a child free couple who visit small islands we are not keen to be where parents relax while their kids run around in hordes being noisy or there are crying babies (families with young children travel outwith school holidays).

We love water villas and if those are important to you, personally I would not forego that experience to stay at Athuruga.

London
Level Contributor
61 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: maafushivaru or Gangehi

Thanks for the comments. Yeah, no, Im not forgoing the water villa. Its the one time I will go to maldives and I really want that experience. I think I will regret it if we stay in a beach villa, which is the kind of thing we have done before and can do again much more easily. Its a water villa at all three... just cant decide which one. My husband thinks the extra thousand is just too much though. He said it becomes 1000 a night at that point... he does have a good point!