We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

I came across this insect repellent while in my local camping shop ! It's supposed to be really good and it contains NO DEET !!!! Worth a try ,its called Smidge That Midge !

google.com/shopping/…

Darryl

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

Apparently it's really good for the midgies up here, boy they have been fierce this year. Might get some, I have all sorts of mozzie stuff going this year lol.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

It does look like it could be a good alternative to Deet ;-)

The spec says its ok for children over 30 months and pregnant women .

Darryl

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

Wow,

It says: "Recommended by the World Health Organisation and has been scientifically proven here in Scotland" but I can not find anything remotely related on the web. It also does not tell which active component is doing the trick.

I would stick to something which works: DEET.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

Jan

The chap in the shop said its fairly new out ,he also said he has used it and its brilliant ;-)

I know there are a lot of deet haters I hope this offers a real alternative .

Darryl

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

I did a google (no surprises there!) and found a forum where someone tested it (in Scotland) by applying it to one arm and not the other and walked into a cloud of midgies. The treated arm didn't get bitten, the other did. He did various 'scientific' tests and concluded that it lasted 4 hours rather than 8 but the results were impressive.

Given what I read, I definitely would trust it as, as I said, the midgies here are ferocious little blighters as my husband will testify to after a rather horrendous camping trip a few weeks back...he is still displaying some scars on his legs and arms!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

Must get to the opticians...

Was wondering why the hell anyone should hate deers and what it has got to do with the Maldives.

And here was me thinking Darryl had gone nuts.

:-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
707 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

Come on, if offers a real alternative when it has been tested and proven to work. It is not scientific testing if someone tells you it works.

So you have DEET on one hand which has been tested thoroughly, been years on the market to back it up and really works

On the other hand you have some stuff with nothing to back it up, a (false??) claim that it is recommended by the World Health Organisation and no scientific tests to prove it.

I really really do not understand why you would choose for the second option.

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

janjans, no need for the 'come on' comment, it was tongue in cheek when I wrote 'scientific', note the quotation marks. I'm not stupid, I have a chemistry degree therefore I do know the meaning of scientific testing.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,263 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

I don't know !!!!

There has been numerous threads with people frantically looking for something to spray on there kids that won't melt there arm bands ,most of them high from over doing it on the marmite ;-0 and i finally find a potential potion and you all dismiss it !!! Well I hope your false nails will forgive you lol ;-)

Darryl

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,432 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Deet Hater ?? Is This For You ??

Thank you for posting Darryl, I'm buying it!!