We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Colchester
4 posts
Save Topic
Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

This forum has been full of amazing advice and having trawled through the forums, me and my OH have booked a WV at Komandoo going in Feb 2013 for 6 days (after a 6 day yoga retreat in Sri Lanka).

We have booked Half Board at the mo, as it was about £100 extra per day for AI. My question is, does anyone know how much extra we are likely to spend on water and other extras and is it worth an upgrade? I am not sure that I can see us getting through £100 worth of extras a day, but we drink a lot of water and that might get pricey if we're buying bottles every day! We won't be drinking much alcohol (having detoxed from the yoga retreat beforehand), but we do like a cheeky cocktail here and there and a daily G&T might be obligatory!

We also aren't very big eaters and usually only eat twice a day on holiday... it almost seems like I've answered my own question in typing this, but I would still really welcome your thoughts!! Thank you :-)

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Believe it or not you still have to buy bottled water even if on AI!

You get given a bottle each day, and can get it by the glass in bar / restaurant, but any extra bottles are chargeable although half normal price. Full price of 1.5l bottle was $4 when we were last there (2008).

If you don't drink a lot of alcoholic drinks, particularly wine, spirits or cocktails, you should be ok.

Ian

Colchester
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

That's great - thanks Ian.

Sounds like we should just stick with HB in that case as the main reason for considering AI was for inclusive water! That and not having to fork out loads of extra money at the end of the trip - the lazy side of me quite liked the idea of everything being paid for upfront, but the likelihood is that we would still be paying extra anyway!

Thanks for replying so quickly too - much appreciated!

Braintree, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Hi, I wonder how you got on in Komandoo with the whole half board option. We are about to book our HM and are having the very same dilemma

Colchester
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Hi there!

I can't tell you yet as I'm still in Essex at the mo - I see we're not far from you in fact!

We leave for Sri Lanka on Feb 14th and will then be in Komandoo the week after. If you can hold on until then, I'll let you know how we get on!

I don't have international roaming as like to escape properly when I'm on holiday, so can't post whilst away, but I don't think we will regret our decision to go HB since reading later reviews and for posts. Fingers crossed!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

We went half board and it was best for us.

Check out our thread from last dec "currently on komandoo" and our review.

We're not big drinkers, don't have much at lunchtime after a full breakfast and picked drinks mostly that wouldn't be included on AI. We didn't have much of a bill at the end.

Snorkelled through lunch and had a little snack (that I took with us) in the garden of our JBV afterwards. Have booked the same for nov.

Have done AI before...probably never again.....HB all the way now (glad we took the plunge to try it).

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Rebelhel - the wifi is free on kom.....

Colchester
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Hi Lynphd,

Thanks for your reassuring post. Your review and forum post were the ones that made me feel better about going HB - so thank you for your thorough feedback and for giving me less to worry about before I go! I absolutely cannot wait!

Just one question if you see this - can you hire snorkelling equipment there? We don't have any diving shops near us to get properly fitted masks and can't carry much extra as our yoga mats take up weight & room. My poor OH is having to carry everything as since booking I've had to have major abdo surgery, so we don't want to add snorkel stuff too if poss.

Re wifi - the issue isn't with cost, it's with me believing in the 'olden days' when going away meant leaving home and the outside world behind with no contact! I really like having an internet/email detox, so I don't have international roaming on my phone by choice. I can't bear it when you're away and you switch your phone on and a load of client texts appear! ;-)

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,773 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

The dive shop was really good they definitely had gear to buy and a guy went off to rent a snorkel vest whilst we were all left waiting to go on the Diveschool snorkel trip lol!

If you go to the recreation tab on the kom web site:

komandoo.com/maldives-island-recreation.aspx

Then go to snorkelling & diving, you will see the link for prodivers price list - seems a bit out of date but lists all the snorkelling gear to rent.

Beaconsfield...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Went to Komandoo last February, Full Board. The food was the best we've ever had on holiday, and we were pleasantly surprised to find that beer, wine and soft drinks by the glass were included with lunch and dinner. We've been to Fihalho, Filitheyo (twice), and Royal Island in the Maldives as well; Komandoo was easily the best of the four..

New Delhi, India
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Komandoo advice - Half Board, Full Board or AI?

Wondering how did the trip go for HB?

Seem to have similar food habits as you, so let me know if a FB/AI upgrade is worth it.

We do like to have a soft drink with meals and a light snack at lunch time.