We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving question...

london
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Diving question...

So we're off to the Maldives in April.

We've never dived before but would love to while we are in such a beautiful place.

What does the course consist of?

And how long would it take before we could go for a dive with the instructor?

Thanks

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving question...

i would recommend doing the course on a referral basis - meaning you do all the theory and studying at home .. then finish the course up on location. there typically will be some "diving" in the lagoon or on a platform in 5 meters that concentrates on equipment and proficiency. once you fulfil the course requirements and "graduate", you will be able to go on real dives on the housereef (if you are going to a resort that has one) or from the boat. those first dives will still be accompanied by an instructor.

you can also do the entire course on vacation but it seems such a waste of beach and divetime to sit in a classrooom .

Edited: 2:54 pm, October 11, 2012
london
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving question...

Thanks for your reply Spammie , do you know how long the theory would take if we were to do before hand?

And if we were to do the theory/ whole thing once in the Maldives how long would that take roughly?

Nadia

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving question...

You know you can just google this and get the answers. Go to the padi site. Honestly google really is your friend.

Level Contributor
1,619 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving question...

Hi Nadz. I did exactly what Spammie recommends. I did the pool dives with a dive school local to home and also the theory tests, then I did my 4 open water dives on Athuruga. I was really glad I did it this way as it is very time consuming and would completely take over the holiday.

The theory takes about 6 hours of reading the manual and watching DVDs then a written test was about another 2.5 hours. The pool training took about 5 hours, so all in all very time consuming.

Mentioned in this post
Athuruga Island
Athuruga Island
Southern Ari Atoll
france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving question...

lol froggy, yes google is your friend and padi has nearly all the answers!

I would expect you would need to count 4 holiday days to do all on the island - not 9 till 5 but you have to do some reading, listening, learning ! and answering the theory questions after each section, so a decent amount of time as spammie says is eaten up.

If you did the theory before hand thro padi on the net you have plenty of time to prepare before next april as you do this as and when.

If costs were a factor you should check with the island how much the practical part -ie your dives would cost. (and certification) + the padi theory online costs.

Have you considered joining a club near you and doing it all before hand? that would probably be a less expensive option and atleast you will get to do a try dive in a pool to see if you like it ......

cassie

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving question...

depends also on how much time you want to invest .. and how much time an instructor can reserve for you in the resort. if you are unlucky, it could take a while but usually the divecenters are very accomodating. maybe about 4 days if you devote a lot of time

Cumbria, United...
Level Contributor
3,446 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving question...

My experience was not dissimilar to Cassie's in that I learnt in the Maldives. It took about 5 days but it wasn't full on 9 to 5, and for me it was part of my holiday rather than a chunk lost out of it.

However If I were to make the choice again I would do the pool sessions and theory in the UK and the open water dives in the Maldives (referral) because it is during the pool sessions (lagoon in the Maldives) that you get to grips with the basics and, if I compare my husband's earlier training in the UK to mine abroad, he had greater confidence in his skills because they were drilled over and over again whereas mine weren't during training. The training here seems more intense.

I was lucky to be able to dive the house reef straight after completing my training with my husband who by that time was a rescue diver but most dive centres require divers with less than 40 logged dives to dive with an instructor.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
32,055 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving question...

One of our group did her course in the first week. It did take a lot of time tho she could study in the sun. While she was reading, worrying about her test etc we were off having fun.

So do as much as you can at home so you can spend as much of your time as you want on holiday enjoying the reefs & relaxation.

Surrey
Level Contributor
131 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving question...

I did my whole course in the Uk and it was spread over 2 week ends. Dont do it all in the Maldives as you will spend at least a day maybe 2 stuck in a class room at the dive centre. I also did the pool an dopen water dives in the uk because it cost more at the place I was going to in the Maldives, and the dive centre wanted $100 or so for the certificate on top, which came included in the cheaper price in the uk. It then meant i could use all my time doing amazing dives in the Maldives.

london
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving question...

Thanks guys for all your responses...

Well I think I will definitely do the course here in the Uk then before heading out . There's no way I want to spend any of my holiday studying!