We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

We love the Maldives and come back every 3 or 4 years, this year is Cuba, but next year who knows which island?

We like a small island with a good house reef not to far out, a small lagoon, we have visited Lily Beach and Komandoo and liked them both, prehaps prefered Lily Beach reef, also visited Meeru but not so keen having pay for a trip out to reefs and being hurried along to keep up, which tends to frighten the fish away! Called into Vilamendoo and the reef looked ok.

We are not necessarily looking for any particular star hotel or attol we are just want to get out there with the rays, turtles, sharks, trigger fish are my total favorite, and all the other fantastic fish you see and cannot name.

Is there a reef anywhere that has not suffered the coral bleaching?

Kent, England
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

Hi there,

Kuredu has an amazing house reef, and there are fish and sharks right off the shoreline.

It's quite a large island, but you can always find quiet spots away from everyone else, and the snorkelling is out of this world.

Highly recommended,

Natalie, UK

home
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

Kuedu is the island for diving most people only go because of the diving.Kuredu is a four star and is all inclusive.

home
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

We went to kuredu it is the island for diving most people there only go because of the diving.Kuredu is a four star and is all inclusive.

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

My husband and I have been to the Maldives 9 times now and are just heading back the end of March. We have been to the best diving and snorkeling islands they have to offer. I can not say much about Kuredu since I have not been there and did not go because the dive reports about this island were not that great. Here are some suggestions and recommendations from avid divers and snorkelers.

1. Elliadhoo (3star) (but too many Italians) we are not Italian and found them too noisy and too many children.

2. Byadhoo (2star) the best yet. But being sold soon and found you had to fight for beach chairs and the dinner is crap. But did return many times for the diving and snorkeling.

3. Filitheyo (4star) but at the same price as Elliadhoo. Great snorkeling and diving. Food never boring. Spa is good and laundry cheap. Best value for your money.

Hope this is a help and have fun. P.S. will be at Fillitheyo March 30 for a month.

Melodye

South Wales
Level Contributor
12 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

We've just returned from Ranveli which is near Lily Beach and Vilahmendoo. A good house reef only about 10 yards from the shore. Some bleaching but the diving is good there too.

Kent, England
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

Just wanted to say that I can't believe you heard reports that the diving and snorkelling wasn't great at Kuredu! It's fabulous, an amazing house reef and they offer boat trips to take you out further afield if you want.

I've been snorkelling on the Great Barrier Reef and Kuredu certainly rivalled that, if not better!

Original postee, Denys - if you went there, you wouldn't regret it!

Natalie

Bucks. England
7 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

Fesdu has an ideal housereef for snorkelling we have been there five times. Others have been there even more times. Unfortunately Fesdu is closed for upgrading so we are looking ourselves for a replacement. Two recent visitors to Filitheyo reported to us that they were very disappointed in house reef as it was difficult to access due to distance from beach. Also beach was rough and difficult to cross. Hello Maldives website lists eight island resorts for snorkellers. Of their eight write ups Angagau and Ellaidhoo look best.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

Thanks to everybody who has replied. We are busy checking out the web sites and all the ones recommended look good.

Bucks. England
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

How near is the House Reef at Komandoo? The references just say "close by". Is that 10 metres or 100 metres? My wife likes the 10/20 metre distance we found at much of the house reef at Fesdu. A long swim over a deepish lagoon detracts from the pleasure or a feeling of security.

Bristol, UK
Level Contributor
18 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does anyone know island with good house reef and...

Hi Fuzzy, its the 10/20 metre type, you can walk a lot of the way!

Its a small lagoon, and thats what we like as well, as you say swimming over a load of deep water to reach the reef is not as much fun.

If you like I can post some photos on the site?