We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Length of stay

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Length of stay

Hi all,

We have been tossing up the idea of a trip to the Maldives in 2013. How long would people recommending visiting the Maldives - would 7 days at a hotel be considered to short? eg. 4 nights beach, 3 nights overwater bungalow?

Thank you

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
616 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Length of stay

For me 7 days would not be long enough. I wouldnt like changing rooms halfway through either, but then I am the sort of person who has to unpack as soon as we get there and be settled in the room.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Length of stay

Plenty of people go for one week,, normally as that's all they can afford either financially or in time and find it fine.

Personally I think two weeks for long haul, but that's really just personal opinion.

england
Level Contributor
95 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Length of stay

All of my holidays have been for 10 days, but am going for 14 days this time. hoping i do not get restless!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Length of stay

Personally don't think I'd go for a week, I always wonder what happened to 14 nights...

Time goes twice as fast in the Maldives, it's a scientific fact!

Edited: 3:27 am, September 16, 2012
Level Contributor
1,611 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Length of stay

My first trip was for a week, when I returned I added a day, then next time went for 10 which was about right. Only going for a week next time due to feeling guilty about being away from children.

I would go for as long as you can afford time and cost wise, the longer the stay, the better value it becomes.

When I went to Thud we had 3 different rooms in 8 days and it was fine.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Length of stay

Ten nights is my personal ideal but If it is your first time then I would recommend 14 because you will love the place and not want to leave.

Our first trip was for a week and I started to get sad that I was leaving after the second night because it was so amazing!

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,471 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Length of stay

For me it would depend on when I was going too. Have always said I would only go for a minimum of 10/11 nights in rainy season, just to even out the chances of a few rainy days vs sunny ones.

If it was 'peak' season then I would do a week but only with a direct flight as we have always been so tired on the first day if doing a dubai stop that it's a waste of the afternoon.

We plumped for 11 nights mid April for honeymoon next year, will see if we believe it's worth paying the extra for (hopefully) better weather!

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,377 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Length of stay

Until recently we had stopover in Dubai to visit friends , then had 7-9 nights 2 or 3 Islands, As they've now moved elsewhere package deals 14 days works out best value

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Length of stay

I'd only ever go for a minimum of ten nights. Given that the airfare will be a big part of the cost, and it's a long way to travel, a week seems too short a stay.

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,625 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Length of stay

We prefer 9-14 nights due to the long flight to get there, but we have done 7 nights before so wouldn't absolutely rule it out if in high season. We even transferred from Meeru via Male to Veligandu in the middle of our 7night break...

Edited: 7:33 am, September 16, 2012