We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's your worst weather experience....

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Topic
What's your worst weather experience....

....in the Maldives of course.

Prompted by another recent thread concerning whether November is high season or not.....I was thinking to myself "well our worst weather experience was in November lol".

I know we can't predict the weather from one year to another or from one island to another...

And generally we say mid Dec to mid/late April for high season, with May and Nov into Dec being the most changeable......

And the time of year wouldn't put me off if the cost is right....

But unexpected bad weather and wash-outs do happen so I thought it may be good to share our worst weather experiences.

We've been 11 times at all different times of year....and the worst weather we had was 11/11 days of persistent rain, wind & drizzle on Ellaidhoo at the start of Nov 2009......Worst seaplane journey back to the airport at the end too.

Any other experiences of persistent bad weather ....or bad weather in the "high" season etc?

Edited: 4:21 am, September 15, 2012
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Most disappointing was February 2008, as we had more rain and cloud than I was expecting for that time of year.

Most rain was 3.5 days worth out of 14 nights in July 2010 - more than acceptable considering the time of year.

Worst weather for a seaplane journey was Veligandu in 2005, both trips were seriously rough. On arrival we landed and took off twice in really high seas and lots of rain. Visibility was horrendous. I remember thinking I'm suing TA when I get back, where is this fantastic seaplane experience everyone talks about!

Ian

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Please can we stop this thread !!!! I am worried it jinxes our visit next month!

11/11 days constant rain - wow what really bad luck........

3.5 out of 14 not a bad number for the time of year ??

ours was last october when we had 2 .5 days heavy rain and lots of clouds for the rest of the time........still thoroughly enjoyed ourselves tho !!!

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Cassie - you are safe we don't go until Dec and then next June....lol

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Had an evening shower this June at biyadhoo ... The worst bit was having our brolly nicked whilst it was parked at the bar. But apparently biya is famous for That. Worst weather ever was nearly 2 weeks solid thunderstorms and torrential rainin Tobago about ten years ago. First time I saw totally horizontal rain

Lincolnshire...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,665 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Paul - Tobago doesn't count (unless it's a new Maldivian island lol).

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

@paul - we lived in Belfast about 12 years ago for 8 months as I recall horizontal rain was a regular occurrance !!!!

sorry going off track !!

Biggin Hill
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Im not actually bothered if it rains, you get wet anyway diving! The worst experience we have ever had, was returning to Male to catch the night flight to Dubai. We had torrential rain, massive swell and not enough seats on the boat, so hubby was at the back with boat boys. Half the passengers screamed as soon as we left the harbour, we were leaving Lohifushi (now Hudhuranfushi), and they didnt stop until the airport! We are both involved in sailing in the UK, and the swell was not as bad as we have known in the UK so we were quite happy about it! The worst bit was trying to get off the boat, you had to time it right when the swell was at its highest and then jump down, otherwise the mooring was 2m above the boat!

Telford
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

We've been 6 times, 1 in May fantastic weather, 3 times in September/October always great weather with occasional rain and twice in November/December with quite a lot of rain and cloud. Going back tomorrow (big smile on my face now) and hoping for usual good September weather

London, United...
Level Contributor
5,955 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Oh, don't get me going on this one again!!

Ok, April 5-8 2009, Tropical Cyclone Lin hit the Maldives (not just Angaga, our island of choice that year).

Three days of hurricane strength winds and incessant rain. The roof blew off a water bungalow on one of the islands and there was a tornado at Male airport. The dive boats didn't go out. Tried snorkelling for three minutes; visibility zero. Tried walking along the sand-spit - got blown backwards.

Check YouTube for evidence.

Edited: 7:03 am, September 15, 2012
Liverpool
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What's your worst weather experience....

Hope that isn't an omen for our trip.....We arrive on 5th April next year!