We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What’s the weather like in August?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What’s the weather like in August?

It’s OK. I haven’t gone crazy. I know the answer is “read the F’ing FAQs and you’ll see that it’s a pointless question”. I just thought that maybe we could extend the weather blog idea and maybe do a short semi-scientific study. I’m happy to report back on the weather when we go in just over 2 weeks’ time but I wondered if anyone else was going at the same time and could also report back so that we can get a picture of how much the weather differs on different islands and in different atolls. I think MissFitts is going to Reethi Beach at the same time so maybe she can contribute? Is anyone else going for the last 2 weeks in August?

If anyone who isn’t going would like to contribute maybe you could check the weather forecasts each day and post them so that we can also see how accurate they turn out to be. Any volunteers?

If this works out anyone searching in the future for “weather in August” may find this thread useful. If you’ve found this thread in 2017 and want to know what the conclusions were you should skip straight to page 127.

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,616 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

... only thing is ... this year's details will probably be totally different from any other year including 2017

Surrey
Level Contributor
370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

Im going to Mirihi tomorrow - I hope to continue the thread that Karla started on current weather in Mirihi - will be there 4th - 18th August.

We always go in August and have experienced very good (hardly any rain) to almost constant rain/ wind 6 /7 days - but you see it hasnt put us off!

Mal

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,176 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

As Wid says. This years weather has little to do with last years, next years or any other years weather. The whole thing about going in the 'wet' season is that weather is unpredictable but the chances of wind, cloud and rain are increased. Prices are lower at this time of year to reflect this general pattern. Anything more specific is pointless.

SL

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

Weather has nothing to do with scientific predictions or monsoons

its all to do with luck ;-))

Hi Wid :-)

Darryl

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

Good journey Mal

lucky you :)

Darryl

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

I'll chip in wifi permitting. Two weeks todey we set off.

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
8,818 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

Good journey to you MF

lucky you :)

Darryl

Swanwick, United...
Level Contributor
4,409 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

Goodness, Missfitts, surely not another holiday! ;) Please try and send us messages from Reethi to let us know how you get on.

David - we have never been in August but when we were there last September it rained solid for the first few days and I still got a tan. The only thing bad weather spoils for me is the nice views.

Have a great time.

T23

Bedford
Destination Expert
for Samana Province
Level Contributor
4,648 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

Thank you Darryl, I hope we make it, I am a bit concerned about the 55 minute transfer time in Doha.

You've got a nerve T23, Mauritius in September isn't it??

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
504 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: What’s the weather like in August?

Thanks T23. We always go in August so I know what to expect. I thought it might be useful to provide a weather service this year. I think everyone realises the weather is unpredictable but they still want to know what it's like.

MissFitts - Have a great time and I hope you're reporting wall-to-wall sunshine on here.