We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

Dear Posters,

I would like to know for the rookie swimmers who want to try diving for the first time, What is the best way to go for it.

Some resort give diving courses options at very high prices. Would like to know if one can get moderate deal?

Also what should be tried and what can be avoided when everything in Maldives seem to very tempting in term of diving experiences !!

Best Regards,

Sumeet.

Surrey
Level Contributor
119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

Many resorts offer something called a Resort Dive. It is not the cheapest way to dive but it is a good way to try it and see if it is "for you". They will show and explain the kit to you and go through the basic stuff. Then they will take you into the pool and go through some basic procedures with you. Then they will take you in to the shallow sea (where you can still stand) and go through stuff again. If you are happy with all of that then they will take you on a dive. Probably no deeper than 8ms, maybe 10, and probably no more than half an hour.

What should be tried - well scuba diving for a start. There will be nothing particular to try but you should take it slowly. It will be very tempting to swim about franticly thinking you will see more by covering more area. In fact the opposite is true. You will see more by covering a smaller area and actually looking closely as much of the really interesting stuff is hard to spot and will probably be hiding from you. Pay attention to the dive guide who will see more than yo and should be pointing at things for you.

What not to do...

1 - NEVER hold your breath under water. Holding your breath under water when using scuba gear is very dangerous. Always breath normally and if in doubt breath out.

2 - Stay calm. You rdive instructor will not allow anything dnagerous or bad to happen so as long as you keep calm everything will be fine.

3 - Dont touch anything. There are some things that you maynot see or which look beautiful but which are in fact quite poisonous. Scorpion fish, Stone fish, even Lion fish, and of course Fire coral which stings quite a lot.

Regarding the budget, dont bother hiring a dive computer for a resort dive. You really only need them if you dive regularly. Dont hire an underwater camera. You want to focus on the diving, seeing what is around, enjoying the moment, not messing about trying to work out how to turn the camera on.

Surrey
Level Contributor
119 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

PS. Do not spend lots of money doing a full Padi course or anything like that. Just the Resort Dive.

And ask if they offer a free pool try out first which many places do.

Level Contributor
24 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

Dear Tricky,

When i was browsing i was seing only expensive PADI course which lot of resort are giving.

Free Pool dive sound perfect and i can even pay for the kit charges. Once i will get confidence in deep dive pool in the resort i will try out in the sea.

What should be minimum days required for the basic course. I am going for my honeymoon and don't want to involve in too much of diving training.

Just want to experience it.

Regards,

Sumeet.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,022 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

i am very confused about tricky's post ... i have never heard of a "resort dive" and certainly none that is free. i think he could be referring to the padi "discover scuba" . that is very much chargeable and there will be something akin to a dive at the end . very shallow and the instructor will likely hold onto you and boost you about . it happens on the housereef if there is one .. or just in the lagoon. you do not get pool dives for free until you are confident ... the whole thing takes about 2 hours .. thats it.

the advice to "don't bother hiring a dive computer" is false. for the discover scuba , all your gear is included in the price . for any further dive , you MUST have a dive computer. no exceptions. maldivian law.

the camera is of course preposperous and no sane dive instructor would let you do that.

i am also baffled by the advise to not do a course... i suggest the opposite.

tricky - please pass us a list of the many resorts that do this kind of free arrangement.. i would be very interested and gladly pass on this info if confirmed.

the most basic course is the padi scubadiver. its very restrictive and semi useless in the maldives. you want the open water course. it takes about 4 days . you can and should start that at home in your local dive center .. get all the classroom and study time out of the way , so you don't spoil too much time of your vacation. you tell the dive center that you want a "referral course". you will finish it up with the divecenter on your island.

i am a bit concerned by your mention of "rookie swimmers" ... what does that mean ? you must of course be a well proficient swimmer to take up diving.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

Totally agree with Spammie - the phrase "rookie swimmer," and diving don't mix in my opinion - I've never done it myself but I've heard that drowning isn't much fun.

If you are a novice swimmer perhaps you could take some refresher lessons at your local pool prior to going? If not, it might be safer to stick to snorkelling - you'll still get to see a LOT of marine life and you'll build your confidence in the water.

I know that Biyadhoo offer a free diving experience to all their guests (at least they used to), basically they let you put the gear on and walk into the lagoon to see how comfortable you feel - it's nothing more than clever marketing really and you won't be allowed to go deeper than 1-2 metres - the objective is to get you to sign up to a course.

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

i am with Robin and Spammie - Tricky's advice is very much contrary to my knowledge and experience in maldives. A lot of AI resorts include a try dive which is as Robin describes.

Of course you have to choose a resort which has a pool and no pools I know are more than a 1.5 mtres at best.

If you do a course your kit is included in the cost but another option is to do a try dive with a dive club where you live if that is possible, then if you like it, consider doing a course via e learning(theory) pool work (with local dive club) open water dives (referral ) in the maldives that way you don't spend too long in classroom on your holiday.

Sg

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
7,998 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

Hi everyone

we have recently took the advice of spammie & sg2 and visited our local dive centre (recomended by sg2) after looking at all our options we have decided to do the whole course in England, although we were offered the referal course.

D & P

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,022 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

good plan, D&P ... that way you can show up at the resort certified and ready to go! you'll love it

sg2
Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

D&P pleased to hear that , hope it goes well and welcome to a wonderful hobby

sg

Leicester
Level Contributor
199 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed "Budget Diving experience"!!

If you're in the UK, your local BSAC (British "equivalent" to PADI) offer try-dives for a tenner.

I did two of these, one with a friend and one with my partner to get her used to it before we went out to the Maldives.

I tried to do the whole PADI course whilst in Mexico on a fornight's holiday - however, despite the site being a 5* PADI resort, their idea of customer safety was severely lacking. This put me off big time and since then I have stuck to snorkeling and in 2010 did a "discover SCUBA" dive on Reethi's house reef.

Now I can't wait to get SCUBA-d up ready for when we go back one day. However, I shall do all of my confined water dives here in the UK - take my time to get all of the skills right before doing the open water stuff whilst we're out there. At least that way, I should have enough experience not to panic whilst under the water.

I would thoroughly suggest not "jumping in" (excuse the pun) and make sure it's something you want to definitely do. I lost a fair chunk of money attempting the course in Mexico.

At the very least, get a try-dive somewhere, work out whether you are comfortable with it, do snorkeling anyway and if you're happy with it, do something like the discover SCUBA. If this is your first trip to the Maldives you'll become hooked - snorkeling will be awesome and you can then use it to justify going back to SCUBA!! ;o)