We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Retthi v Vilamendhoo

Scotland
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Retthi v Vilamendhoo

Hello again

neither would be my ideal choice but budget dependant. Had budgeted £6000-£7000 for 1 week Atoll explorer & 1 week AI hotel Feb 2013 for hubbie and myself for silver wedding. Got good feedback on TA but theses are the 2 hotels coming in roughly on budget. This maldives research is hard work. Cannot afford to do this again so I want it to be perfect.Want good AI and good house reef(cocktails included)

Thanks again everyone

Helen

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

Helen, have been to both a couple of times each and have just booked our third trip to Reethi....we much prefer Reethi.

Reethi is quieter, more laid back and less of a honeymoon clientele. Vila is more lively and whilst the beach is not as good as Reethi's, the reef is excellent. The reef at Reethi is not the greatest but there is a good range of fish and regular shark sightings around the water villas.

The rooms at Vila are better as they had a full refurb completed 15 months ago.

Both offer AI packages but to get the full range of cocktails, you will need the Reethi Select which is currently being trialled in resort. This gives you access to all the restaurants and the full wine and cocktail list for a cost of $40 per person per day and also includes a full mini bar.

The AI on Vila includes cocktail of the day and the minibar only has beer and soft drinks included. Food will be buffet style in either the Ahima restaurant if you book a JBV or JWV or in the Funama for BV and garden rooms. The Ahima restaurant, JBV's and JWV's are adult only as is the infinity pool.

Are you sure you can't stretch that budget and get Mirihi like you wanted? It seems that the underwater bit is very important to you and you won't better Mirihi.

John

Scotland
Level Contributor
112 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

Thanks John

Any idea how much more Mirihi would be and are they AI

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

I have not priced mirihi , but I know it is not all incl, It will be a very big price jump by the time you eat and drink, I think you should look at Athuruga, it is all inc, seemingly a very beautiful island with good reef and price wise not to much more than Reethi or vila.

suffolk
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

I would pick Reethi of the two , but I've been to Vila and wouldn't pick it again .

Athuruga is reputedly a much better reef and island (will find out in May )

Also another island on my to do list is Angaga for the reef and size .

Only reason i wouldn't pick Vila again is that it is now overpriced for what you get ,imo,

Too many rooms and not enough beach .

Did enjoy the holiday and it has a great reef .

Andy

Edited: 5:28 am, February 29, 2012
Manchester
Level Contributor
545 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

Have to agree withh Andy wouldnt go to Vila again because of the size, to big and to crowded.

cant comment on Reethi

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
938 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

We went to Vila pre refurb and the beach erosion was pretty bad, the island had little centre other than the sunset bar & the clientele were a lot older. However the reef was outstanding.

We're booked for Reethi this year and hoping for a livelier resort with decent snorkelling as we'd rather have more fish than stunning coral!

I recently priced Mirihi and it was over £2k B&B for 10 nights which you can get AI on Reethi.

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

Parrotfish.....I am sure you won't be disappointed with Reethi as the fish life is excellent. But....for a livelier resort you should have headed back to Vila.

The clientele on Reethi tends to be slightly older with a majority German/Swiss mix and a smaller percentage of English. When we went to Vila last Sept. it was quite a busy island with a very much younger group.....one day, there was more than 50 people boisterously enjoying the sunset round the infinity pool. OK if that's what you are looking for but you won't find that on Reethi.

John

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

I didn't find that on Vila either John! It was really quiet when we were there apart from a few of our Russian comrades who did a lot of loud talking around boashi.

Am I going to be the youngest on the island when I get to Reethi? hmmmmm

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,628 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

Jody you will love it.....I promise! Keep this post and tell me I was right when you come back.

There were no Russians on Vila when we were there....probably 90% English. Although there was a middle Eastern lady with the full head to toe "eyeballs only" jobbie staying in one of the WV's.

And someone has to be the youngest!!!

John

Kent, England
Level Contributor
4,468 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Retthi v Vilamendhoo

I have no doubt you are right John, I am almost counting on it!