We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

Mirihi is often talked about on this forum as a fave destination and the reef is constantly referred to as one of the best.

I will be visiting Mirihi next year for my Honeymoon but what is it about the reef that is so special and what especially should I be looking to see?

Will be my first trip to the Maldives and second time snorkelling.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

don't look for anything special ... just ..look..... and try not to drown because it will be a near religious experience :)

what a way to spoil yourself for any lesser reef for life ... :D

suffolk
Level Contributor
3,640 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

".......a near religious experience".......??????????

Never heard a reef described like that before.

Is it a case of "Oh my God!!!"

John

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

Not sure the ticker will take it :)

So what has been your most enjoyable experience/ encounter :)

I'm guessing from your responses this is something i'm just going to have to wait and see.

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

wish our dive last month lasted long enough to experience it........

means I will have to go back........... not to mirihi island - to expensive !! just to dive the reef.

lucky you garth.

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

hi Cassie, you must have been so disapointed :( so near...

I've just been working out how much food etc is going to cost i've decided to give up on that as it was geting to high! Still its our honeymoon so what the hell you only live once.

What was the rest of the diving like when you were out there, which resort were you at?

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

the diving is awesome out of dhiggiri, Garth ,.. just stay close to hassan. he knows every fish by first name

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

I agree with Spammie! You don't need to "look" for anything special. Just open your eyes and prepare to be blown away. There were many moments when I couldn't decide where to look, because there were 2 of 3 amazing things in my field of vision. For instance, reef squid in front of my face while a white tip shark decided to come in for a close glimpse of me. Eagles Rays soaring past me at arms reach while two titan trigger fish twirled around each other.... I could go on and on.

I know I'm spoiled for life. If anyone knows of any comparable house reefs anywhere in the world, please let me know....

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,112 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

i just noticed i need to correct myself from days ago .. message 6. .. i clearly meant mirihi .. not dhiggiri. must have had half of my head on another question .. my apologies if i caused confusion

Bonaire
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

Garth,

I forgot to add that I have lots of photos of the Mirihi reef on my smugmug page if you are interested.

Www.reeftraveler.smugmug.com

Level Contributor
325 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mirihi reef - What's so special about it

Luv4travelNJ absolutely love the pics superb I can see what you love Mirihi. Is it the diversity, sheer number or variety that makes it?

This will be my 2nd time snorkelling and my partner won't snorkel so will there be anybody to offer some guidance etc?

Cheers Spammie I assumed you meant Mirihi :)