We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

Chicago
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Topic
My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

Hello out there,

I am a gay man planning a trip to the Maldives with my boyfriend. Only thing is we have no idea where to stay, what to do, if it is gay friendly, etc...

Yeah, we are pretty clueless...but I have heard nothing but great things about Maldives so I do hope this works out.

Here is our info:

1-We would be going on December 27 and staying till January 3rd (give or take a few days).

2-We want to stay at the most fabulous place that is close to everything...when making suggestions do not worry about the cost...we have saved quite a bit just for this ocassion.

3-Are they gay friendly? Of course we will be respectful of the culture but we certainly do not want to go if we are to be made to feel unwelcomed

That's it! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...any information you have will be greatly appreciated.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

hm.... gayfriendly , yes . you will have no problems .. same rules apply to all couples about no overly intimate public displays

your problem is .. trying to book for the busiest time of the year at such short notice will be an issue .

fabulous place ... easy.

close to everything ???? um.. close to what ? every island is its own resort .. the islands are very small .. there are no sights and very, very limited nightlife . however, there is great diving and depending on the island.. snorkeling.

try the W resort for fabulous, funky , good reef and one of the very few nightclubs in the maldives

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,659 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

As spammie says, close to what? Each resort is on its own island so the only things to do are what's on that island.

I guess you kknow that the Maldives is a conservative Muslim country, but our experience is that it's pretty gay friendly although some resorts may work better for you than others.

Give us an idea of your budget and people will be able to make some better recommendations for you.

Note that over the Christmas/New Year hols a lot of resorts have a minimum nights' stay requirement and the room rates are highest then. Just to give you an idea of what fabulous costs over these dates, at the Conrad Maldives (where I work) room rates start at US$2,100 per night plus taxes.

Edited: 12:58 am, September 19, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

I would not worry about the sexuality issue. Lots of same sex friends travel together irrelevant of their relationships. I have seen a few gay couples There and everyone is treated Alike and with respect.

As katanthony said. State your budget. The Conrad and the w are both quite expensive, and you can still get deals for less that this. I have not Been to the w, but agree it does look fabulous if in your budget.

the islands tend to be quiet with people relaxing, snorkelling, diving etc,,,so not a huge amount of nightlife if this is what you are after. They tend to be more private and secluded holidays that anything more typically mass Market you normally see. they tend to attract honeymooners, divers/snorkelers, or people who don't want to encounter crowds and have some private family or couple time.

Chicago
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

Budget is not an issue...we want to stay at the most terrific place in the Maldives. We do want to make this a once in a lifetime experience. Do you think the "W" is the way to go?

Cannock, United...
Level Contributor
1,309 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

Hi,

As others have rightly said, "the most fabulous/terrific place" is subjective. If budget is not issue then it really depends on what you want out of your holiday. Activities at most resorts can usually be categorised into:

relaxing

snorkelling

scuba diving

watersports

spa treatments

eating

drinking

Perhaps you can give an idea of what sort of things are important to you for your holiday?

Cheers,

Rob

Edited: 8:32 am, September 20, 2011
London
Level Contributor
1,912 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

Have you been to the W in Chicago?

Bruce

www.maldivescomplete.com

Madrid, Spain
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
4,073 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

If budget is not an issue, I would go to Rania, and in second place to Banyan Tree madivaru...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

Hi,,,what does fabulous mean? I know that seems a strange question, but does it mean ultimate discreet luxury or does it mean super trendy, or simply breathtaking views and snorkelling? Ab fab means something different to everyone...So echoing nr8rcg....what is it you really want:))

There is some serious experts on here, who can point you in the right direction, but without guidance, then it becomes more subjective than normal.

Also, you need to clarify your budget. Is it 5k or 50k? Budget not being an issue can also mean different things to different people. However you need to move fast, things are booking up fast for the new year period.

middx
Level Contributor
321 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

W was very lovely and the staff were lovely but, the food whilst always pleasant wasn't amazing. We went there in Feb 2009 so may have improved, but food then definitely didn't fit into the trip of a lifetime standard!

The food was much better at Mirihi another very well regarded resort.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,503 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: My boyfriend and I need help planning our Maldives vacation.

mirihi, as mentioned by sandj is my favorite maldivian resort in any price class and i know for a fact that same sex couples are well received there ... but i don't see much chance of a last minute booking over new years on mirihi ... also there is definitely no "close to everything" .. since there is nothing at all in the area of nightlife, etc ..