We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,832 posts
2 reviews
Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

Due to increased rains currently being experienced in the Maldives, note the following:

haveeru.com.mv/english/details/38196/Health_…

BUT don't panic, most people suffer mild symptoms:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0002350/

........just ensure you have good mosquito repellant containng at least 50% deet and paracetamol (NOT asprin) .....

but most good reputable resorts should be carrying out a "fogging" program during periods of heavy rain which keeps the nippers at bay but do take precautions if you visit an uninhabited island or and island shopping trip.

.............AG

Angolo Souvenir shop
Gift & Specialty Shops
Nala Boutique
Gift & Specialty Shops
M Souvenirs
Gift & Specialty Shops
London
Level Contributor
1,919 posts
9 reviews
11. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

The little girl was a local who died the day before her first birthday. It would not stop me going to the Maldives but anyone who goes there would have a slight risk. Our worst experience with mosquitoes was on Lily Beach just after the renovation. as well as using repellents we both take garlic capsules which apparently repel the mossies.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
12. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

Yes there is a risk, thanks for putting it in perspective. I also take garlic capsules before I go.

John is also right, stagnant water is a key breeding ground, as well as vegetation. Most resorts have a fogging programme or prevention programme in place due to the effect on their business if anything did occur.

However we all travel through male on the way to our resort, a mile is a long way if we consider the radius a mosquito can fly, and we should not just rely on the diligence of the resort to remove the breeding grounds of the infected Mosquitos. Also many tourists visit inhabited islands or visit/stay on male itself, where there has been deaths.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
23 reviews
13. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

i would think there is definitely a bit of a risk, especially to little ones. my friend's son died in a male hospital after having contracted dengue in a 5 star resort. his mother was also very sick but survived.

that would not keep me from going for a second .. but i personally would not bring an under 2 year old anyhow .. for a number of medical considerations . dengue being just one item on the list.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
23 reviews
14. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

i should say .. little sam's death happened a couple of years ago .. not during this current outbreak ... sorry if i freaked someone out

Edited: 8:47 pm, October 13, 2011
Eastbourne, United...
Level Contributor
43 posts
18 reviews
15. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

Have had our jabs for maldives today (achy arms)but more alarmed about the nurse telling us about dengue flu!! The mozzies absolutely love me so am a little anxious.does anyone know if there has been any outbreaks lately if so what islands?and any tips for keeping them at bay?

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
16. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

29alison

I am a mossie magnet, I was in Greece twice last year and was eaten alive despite using several different preparations ( especially the second time ) . I even managed to get bitten in New York in May.

Had 10 nights on Lily Beach in October and only had one bite. so hopefully you will be as lucky.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
17. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

Think you need to read the thread, an out break on a resort island is very rare, not to say impossible, but very rare, it's more typical in the local islands and male. Also remember it's not simply a mosquito bite that gives you dengue fever, it's an infected mosquito, and that's different, the resort islands have preventative measures. I reality you are probably more likely to get hit by a falling coconut, unless you intend to spend time in the capital.

Again, it's possible, but so are many things in life. Just take normal precautions ie deet etc.

Reigate, United...
2 posts
18. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

We have recently returned from a 5 star resort in the Maldives. The resort which I won't name was exceptional and almost exactly what we expected. Unfortunately both myself and my husband got the Dengue virus. I got this on the 5th day in and my husband became ill on the flight home. I was admitted to hospital within hours of landing back in the U.K. I can honestly say that I thought I was dying. My liver was inflamed, white cell count was obliterated, potassium low, platelets depleted, extremely low blood pressure etc. I spent a week in hospital but a week later and I have zero mojo and walking like a zombie. This Dengue virus is nasty and it blighted what was supposed to be a wonderful holiday. The resort did the fogging thing every night but clearly this made no difference to us. The sense I got from the resort is that they wanted to 'dumb' down any mention of the risk of contracting Dengue. I think this is unhelpful because we may have been saved from getting this if the risks had been highlighted and guidelines on precautions. Feeling slightly bitter, exhausted and defeated by this experience. No matter how beautiful the island was it wasn't worth it.

Manchester U.K
Level Contributor
350 posts
42 reviews
19. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

Sorry you were/ are so poorly, but why not name the resort ? Then at least people can take extra care and the management will be questioned about the 'dumbing down' issue.

Regards.W.

Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
15,471 posts
23 reviews
20. Re: Be Prepared - Dengue Fever

the resort doesn't matter. i still visit the resort where my friend maria and her son PROBABLY contracted the virus. the resort did absolutely nothing wrong. why name and cause some silly panic ? you know how irrationally some people react ..