We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maldives & Sri lanka Weather in June/July

stirling
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Maldives & Sri lanka Weather in June/July

I am planning on honeymooning in Sri Lanka and the Maldives in June & July, but have read conflicting reports about the weather in both these destinations at this time of year. Has anyone been at this time of year who could give some info, good or bad. I don't want my honeymoon to be a washout!!

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,524 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maldives & Sri lanka Weather in June/July

We get asked a lot of questions about the weather out here so I thought I'd bring it all together in one place.

Firstly a little caveat: the weather in the Maldives, like weather everywhere is neither predictable nor guaranteed. Nobody can say with any accuracy what the weather will be like during the dates you've booked your holiday until a couple of days beforehand!

This is how it's supposed to be:

May, June, July: this is the rainy season. This means it may rain continously for several days in a row, it may shower for a couple of hours then clear up, it may rain only at night or it may not rain at all for weeks, then switch to torrential downpours. If you're travelling at this time, expect some rain, but don't worry unduly about it. The temperature will be mid 20's to early 30's in centigrade.

August - December: this is supposed to be the dry season, but you'll find it still rains regularly. Expect a day or two of overcast skies and showers. The temperature will be mid 20's to early 30's in centigrade.

January - April: considered the best season of all, but it will still rain a little bit but not enough to really disrupt a holiday (this is the tropics - all those lush, green islands are green for a reason). The temperature will be mid 20's to mid 30's in centigrade.

The local boys tell me it rains at high tide and almost never at low tide. It's more likely to rain at full moon than during moon-dark.

There are weather websites you can visit, but bear in mind, most of them are based in Male and the weather they experience there (100km from the Hilton) rarely relates to the weather we're getting here.

In the end, the weather's going to do whatever it wants, irrespective of your plans! Pack a good book, your favourite CDs and cuddle up on a daybed in the bar. There are worse places to be during a thunderstorm.

Hope this helps!