We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best time to go

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best time to go

I know there is a section onTA about this but im a little confuesed as to when is the best time to go as it referes to the northeast and southwest monsoon season. We would be looking to go November/December to Meeru Island, North Atoll, possibly. Is this a good time to visit?

THanks

Caroline

69 replies to this topic
Divide, Colorado
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
14,021 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best time to go

nov is still the end of the rainy season. the tour operators like to call dec a "dry month" but the monsoon has in recent years turned just around christmas time. monsoon change is usually marked by some very unsettled, stormy and wet weather.

best time to visit with weather in mind is jan (tends to be still windy but dry) through mid april

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best time to go

Hi

The two best i.e driest months are usually February and March. But being in the dry season this is also the most expensive time to visit the Maldives.

Do you have your heart dead set on Meeru? It is large and quite busy and lacks good snorkelling. If you would like to give us an idea of your budget I am sure we can give you some better alternatives.

OD

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best time to go

We weren't particularly set on which resort but wanted to go Nov/dec as its for our honeymoon. We get married in July but were going to put the honeymoon back so we could go to the Maldives, but its not looking like the best time to go :(. Our budget would be £3-4000

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best time to go

We weren't particularly set on which resort but wanted to go Nov/dec as its for our honeymoon. We get married in July but were going to put the honeymoon back so we could go to the Maldives, but its not looking like the best time to go :(. Our budget would be £3-4000

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best time to go

Is that budget ideally for 2 weeks?

OD

Rome, Italy
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka, Maldives
Level Contributor
11,118 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best time to go

if you are afraid of Rain, then yes, anytime from January to April, you can go with your eyes closed...

if its any other time of the year... then there is a chance that you may get some rain... so make sure you find a very good deal that is worth the risk. thats what we did the last couple of times when we went to Filitheyo, end of October 2010 and May 2011...

end of October 2010 it was fantastic, we didn't see a drop of rain, sunshine and HOT all the way. while in May we got few days of rain (some days just poured down all day long) of course, this doesn't mean that it's always like this every year)

Rugby, United...
Level Contributor
123 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best time to go

Just to emphasise how the weather can be a real conundrum, I was there in May 2011, just like the previous poster and experienced nothing but blazing sunshine. My advice would be to go when circumstances allow.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Best time to go

our budget is for two weeks. i understand that the last few years the weather in alot of countries has been odd and not as expected so we dont mind a little bit of rain but dont want to be spendinghalf our holiday in doors, especially in the maldives as a lot of the hotels arent massive and may not have alot to do on rainy days. Ive seen a couple of places we like the look of, ideally i would love to stay in one of the water bungalows as it is for our honeymoon but i dont think our budget will stretch to this unfortunately :(

London
Level Contributor
869 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best time to go

Reethi beach might come in budget for water bunglaows.

Grimsby, United...
Level Contributor
198 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Best time to go

I have just had a look at the facilites for the Reethi and whilst they do all inclusive it says that you still have to pay for a la carte restaurants? Is this right? When ive been AI before the a la cartes are usually included but limited to 3 or 4 a week.

Reply to: Best time to go
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted