We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

London, UK
10 posts
Save Topic
Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

We have just booked our honeymoon to Kuramathi Cottage Club (WV) 14 nights for next month... can't wait!!

We have a choice of room & breakfast only or half board... I understand that half board limits our options as it is restricted to one restaurant...

I would welcome your experiences of the island and any advice/comments on costs vs half board option.

Are there any "must do's" or things to "avoid" on the island? It's our first trip to the Maldives and I'm so excited!! I've only just found this forum and would have loved to ask for your advice before booking... hope we have not made a big mistake...??!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,229 Reviews
Kuramathi
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,047 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

I don't think you will regret your choice.

We stayed in Kuramathi Cottage Club in a water bungalow on Half-Board in November 2003. I would have preferred All-Inclusive, but it's not an option at the Cottage Club. Whilst there we worked out that upgrading to Half-Board from B&B when you arrive works out cheaper than paying for dinner every night. As for lunch, we tended to stuff ourselves at the super buffet breakfast and take fruit, pastries and rolls away for lunch. After all you are far too busy sunbathing or snorkelling (or winsurfing!) to walk all that distance to the restaurant for lunch - all of 500 metres!!!! If you do want lunch, burgers, pizzas and salads are available at various places at reasonable prices or full lunch if you want it. Don't know price, as we never had it. As for dinner, yes, you have your included meal in the same restaurant - one night it is an extensive self-service buffet, alternate nights, it is waiter service with two choices or a buffet if you prefer. House wine is not bad and cheaper by the bottle. They'll save it for next day if you don't finish it. However, if you want to dine in one of the several speciality restaurants, you receive an allowance towards the cost, so it is pretty flexible.

We took our own snorkelling equipment as the hire charges were pretty steep. To buy kit (very good quality) in the Dive Shop worked out cheaper. Didn't windsurf but prices I recall seemed typical to those I'd seen in other beach destinations.

As for your water bungalow, if you are given the choice when you arrive(or even better before you go if you contact them via their website) request one of the end units. Although you may be allocated or have booked a special honeymoon unit. We had the one on the far left looking out to sea (can't remember the number)which, although near the desalination plant, which was a bit noisy until you quickly got used to it (mind you in the Maldives, the ants sound noisy!!!) was ideal as you had the benefit of no neighbours on one side - except for a lagoon full of fish into which you could step straight from your bungalow, or you were immediately adjacent to one of the best stretches of beach. Best of both worlds!!

MUST go to the tip of the island for sunset but MUSTN'T forget your insect spray for on the way back when it is dusk and the mossies are most active. MUSTN'T take a load of clothes or shoes, it's very informal.

The Maldivian waiters may at first seem a bit surly but it is only their natural reserve until they get to know you and you them, then they are really very very nice people with a cheeky sense of humour.

I'm sure you'll love it, especially at the Spa!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,229 Reviews
Kuramathi
Cheltenham, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

Hi - I am new to Trip Advisor but have found the reports on the site very useful, honest and frank and were extrenely helpful prior to our going to Kuramathi. I have just posted a lengthy review on the site which should be up soon. We went on 5th Feb for a week, having been to the Maldives before to a 5* resort. Hopefully you should find some of the info useful on my review as the details were fresh in my mind when I wrote it!

Mentioned in this post
Kuramathi Island Resort
Kuramathi Island Resort
4,229 Reviews
Kuramathi
London, UK
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

Thanks v. much for sharing your experience, tips, etc... 1 week to go!!

I've read that there are no sunloungers on the beaches, etc and that it is worthwhile taking an airbed or something for those quiet moments of relaxing in the sun... I realise that we don't need to pack very much, but should we take beach towels with us or are they provided??

Thanks for your help/advice.

C

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,047 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

Sun loungers?!? What do you need those for if you are lying on the softest, whitest bed nature invented! You can even lie in the shallows just to the edge of the lagoon, but watch out for the sharks cruising by!. Just joking. Lovely totally innocuous reef sharks about a metre long cruise by but are more afraid of you. Beach towels are provided. Go right out to the sand spit at the tip of the island and lie down in the sand or sea as the sun sets. Amazing!! What a way to spend the first days of the rest of your life. Enjoy!!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,047 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

Sorry, didn't notice the WV. If you are staying in a water bungalow, sun loungers ARE provided for use on the wooden decking, which as you can imagine gets VERY hot. Take care when putting your feet down after a sun bathing spell. Use your most essential footwear - flip, flops. As I've mentioned in a previous post, unless you are allocated a specific Honeymoon WV, ask for one of the end ones. All are private and detached, but the end ones have neighbours on only one side - except for the fish in the lagoon that is. We were allocated the one at the Southern end of the row of WVs (can't remember the number) which we were told subsequently is the most sought after. You are near to the island's desalination plant (screened from view) so it is never totally silent. But you soon get used to the low background hum. If you want any pictures or more info in advance email me on alan@hunterk.fsnet.co.uk

London, UK
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

THANK YOU - we're soooo looking forward to it!!

:-)

London, UK
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

And...another question (!)... I'm thinking of sorting out foreign currency as we are off in a few days and wondered what the etiquette is for tipping staff and the average cost of food and drink?

This should be the last question... honest!!?!

Thank you for your help!

Caron :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,047 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

Take US$, cash if you don't want to be caught by double exchange commission and lesser rate of exchange offered at Reception. There are safes at Reception for your valuables. But you don't need much if you take your credit card as you can charge virtually everything you spend on the island to it. Hard currency though for tips. We gave about $50 each to our waiter and houseboy, which we had been advised was appropriate. Of course give more or less if you think they deserve it. I can't imagine they won't!! We also gave our used paperbacks and magazines to the houseboy, who really appreciated them - not that I guess you will be taking much reading material on honeymoon with you! :)

If you want to see some pics, visit http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/arandora4

I forgot I had published these on the web.

Have a great time!!

London, UK
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Kuramathi: B&B or HB?

Thanks for your response Arandora and for sharing your holiday photos... I simply can't wait now! Counting the days, hours... now!

Cheers,

Caron