We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

temperature in early morning...

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
temperature in early morning...

Hi, I am trying to plan what to wear on the plane journey to the Maldives in 2wks time, as our plane lands at 7..30am I wondered if anyone can tell me what sort of temp it will be at that time? not sure if we need to change on plane into hot weather clothes or if we can survive the journey (45 mins on speedboat) in what we'll have on. (jeans or leggings and layers) i cant remember if the maldives take a while to heat up or if it will be v hot early on....

thanks!

france
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: temperature in early morning...

jetsetter - it is already hot at that time of the morning, I would recommend a change of clothes for the onward journey.

(I love getting of the plane in the morning and being overwhelmed by the heat and the smell of the maldives!!)

have a great holiday..........

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,956 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: temperature in early morning...

Yes it is hot early.

I arrived about that time and it takes a while to go through security. I was in jeans & t shirt and boiled even tho sitting in shade under a fan in the cafe waiting for others.

Intend to change on the plane next time - half length trousers, t shirt covering shoulders and flip flops. (Required in Male). It wasn't too bad on boat but remember you will be going to reception and your accommodation when its going to be hot.

Sounds great!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
9,417 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: temperature in early morning...

Hi Jetsetter

It is always hot in the Maldives and the temperature doesn't vary hugely throughout the day. I can't be bothered to try and get changed in the WC on the plane - not enough room to swing a cat! So I always fly in lightweight summer trousers and a T shirt, with a jumper on top. The jumper comes off before we land and goes in my carry on bag.

Don't forget to put on some suntam cream before you start walking around in the sunshine or get on the boat.

OD

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: temperature in early morning...

many thanks all for your replies - i shall def wear something that can easily convert to hot-weather-attire - i just find it so cold on the plane and no doubt wont be hot leaving the UK :) its good to know that i'll be sweltering in jeans/t shirt... i know we have to keep shoulders covered - do they get funny re length of shorts too? i.e. do these need to be knee length?

thanks

Wid
Wirral,England
Level Contributor
3,511 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: temperature in early morning...

Also make sure you have a bit of mozzy stuff handy. I have only ever had one bite in the Maldives and it was at some stage between landing at Male and getting out of the speedboat at Fiha a few weeks ago.

I travel in layers too. Strappy stretch lined camisole, tee shirt on top, sweater or fleece on top of that, cut-off lightweight loose trousers (linen is best) and flip flops. Everything then comes off at various stages.

Wid

Edited: 7:43 am, April 13, 2011
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,173 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: temperature in early morning...

Length of shorts isn't really an issue unless they are so short you can see your cheeks! General rule of thumb is shoulders and thighs covered.

SL

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
26,956 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: temperature in early morning...

Good thinking about the suntan cream OD. I did put swim suit & suncream in hand luggage just in case they lost my suitcase! Knew these were the only essentials I would need in that circumstance! Well spare nicks and makeup always in hand luggage....

Well Jetsetter, it is expected that you wear something to cover your knees on the 'mainland' or any inhabited island.

London, United...
Level Contributor
64 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: temperature in early morning...

great thanks :) think i shall travel on plane in leggings/jeans and long sleeved layers and take a knee length light dress w sleeves to change on plane..will cover with high spf on plane and have moz repellant at the ready :) fingers crossed we dont arrive to showers/storms in male as we'll be in monsoon season and i dont plan on taking an umbrella!

9. Re: temperature in early morning...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 am, October 30, 2012